We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with teenager in June 2021

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of North Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
97 reviews
89 helpful votes
Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

Hi all,

I have been reading extensively the info on this forum so I have couple of questions to be answered if you can, please. We are invited to a wedding in one of the suburbs of Tokyo.

Travelling with 15yr old girl for 10-12days.

I know things with the virus are difficult, but hopefully we can leave UK after mid June, and it’s just right date to attend the wedding if all works well. In that spirit please advice me accordingly

—- invited for a traditional Shinto marriage ceremony , so what kind of gift to offer, and what faux pas not to do?

—- do I get train ticket for train travel or rent a car for all 9-11 days in the country?

—- planning to have daily budget of $110 for two a day including places to stay. Already found some decent air BandB stays , is that budget enough?

—is it prudent to travel on big distances? We would keep to Tokyo, Kawasaki, Yokohama, Kumagaya, but if it’s doable under circumstances can we add Kyoto and Osaka, flying home from Osaka .

Any info very much appreciated, specially all your help for trip planning during this pandemic

Much love NLgirl06

Edited: April 15, 2021, 9:54 pm
24 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,306 posts
65 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

IMO - I wouldn't bet on a visit to Japan in June.

Lots of great travel information for you to read about at www.japan-guide.com

Please play with your proposed itinerary at = https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/ - to see if a rail pass makes sense for you.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
97 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

Thank you !

I was looking to fly 27-28th of June, wedding is 30th.

I won’t book anything until probably 10th of June.

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu, Rugby World Cup, Olympics
Level Contributor
10,288 posts
4,890 reviews
1,670 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

Under the current situation here, entry permit in June will be highly unlikely IMO.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7,213 posts
24 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

I'm assuming that the wedding is in the Tokyo metropolitan area, not far from a train station. If you specify a location, we can check that out.

Most tourists in Japan use the train system, which is extensive and reliable. Gasoline and highway tolls are expensive, traffic congestion is a problem in the big cities, and parking is limited, so renting a car makes sense only if you want to visit rural areas.

It would make sense to include Kyoto in your trip, and to take the Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Kyoto.

I would not recommend an Airbnb for your first trip to Japan. If anything goes wrong, or if you need any help, it helps to be in a conventional hotel with front desk staff who can assist.

It's unlikely that you will be able to make this trip in June.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

Have you applied for a visa? You'd better plan with 14 day quarantine after you enter Japan.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
71,485 posts
181 reviews
182 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

Though I often say the crystal ball is murky,. June 2021 is out of the question. There is pretty much no chance that any of the current restrictions will be loosened before the Olympics.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

Exactly!! Totally agree with you Sammy FD.

We might soon go back to state of emergency again.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
271 reviews
154 helpful votes
8. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

NLgirl06,

Sorry to say...I also believe it is not possible for foreigners to enter Japan this June 2021. But it is not clear on your note. If you are holding a Japanese passport or residency pass, then certainly you may enter. But the 14 days quarantine isolation should be part of your plan as Global has already mentioned.

Again, it is not clear in your note. Are you referring to a budget of $110 in US dollar? The currency is in Yen. But if in US dollar, that amount will be appropriate for food/restaurant budget for two persons per day. It will not be enough for accommodations and/or transportation. Of the three elements, transportation is the most expensive element in Japan personally speaking.

Do some more research before booking your flight tickets in early June as planned.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html

Sorry I have no suggestion for a wedding gift. I always felt giving money is very impersonal.🎁

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
97 reviews
89 helpful votes
9. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

Thank you all for your insight. Seems I have much hurdles to jump. Won’t be easy trip to plan.

I am told by my friends that they expect the virus rules to be lifted. How that is viable nobody knows but I would like to be prepared, and have all in order of action. We will be travelling on UK passports and not have any special documentation, I was going to apply for a visa towards end of this month, providing that some rules are relaxed.

The wedding (temple ceremony) will take place in Kumagaya as one of the couple comes from there, and than garden lunch somewhere in Ota City Tokyo Metropolitan area, where the live .

I had in mind budget in Pounds Sterling (£) but for some reason I wrote $ dollars . It is easier to refer in £ as it gives me better understanding of prices instead of Yen, sorry for confusion everyone.

As for accommodation I found AirB&B , ryokan & hostels for the trip. We would be out as much as possible during the day ( circumstances permitting) and we need somewhere clean and safe to sleep.

If we have time & is allowed , we will stay with distant family member in Osaka for 2nights and than fly out back home.

That’s the working plan for the trip providing restrictions are lifted ( 14day quarantine )

If you think this is highly unlikely, than I will put this trip on back burner until next year or any such a time when travell gets better snd easier.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hokkaido, Nagano
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
187 reviews
88 helpful votes
10. Re: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Save

>>I am told by my friends that they expect the virus rules to be lifted.

are they living in Japan or not ? it's more likely for travel restrictions be lifted in UK than in Japan, where vaccination to the general public won't commence until July.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/heres-the-tentative-timeline-of-japans-covid-19-vaccination-programme-012021

Besides, it has been widely reported that foreign spectators are banned from attending the postponed Olympic games in coming July. The likelihood of Japan opening up to foreign visitors before July would be very slim.

https://www.japan-guide.com/news/alerts.html

On this forum there are plenty of threads re covid related travel restrictions, Tokyo Olympic games refund issues for foreign ticket holders etc.

Reply to: Travel with teenager in June 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.