We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo

2 posts
How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Save

I'm 17, learning Japanese and wanting to travel to Japan next year (if possible).

This is only asking about meeting Japanese people in Japan as an 18yo :)

I don't personally know anyone who lives in Japan and I'm wanting to meet some Japanese people while I'm there (should be easy enough to find non Japanese people, if I want)

I'm usually a bit shy so would rather not talk to random strangers to make friends... Is there a good way to meet up with younger Japanese people?(I don't mind if they aren't exactly the same age)

I was thinking the easiest way could be with a school by becoming an exchange student however I'm not currently at school as I've been doing other things instead.

I haven't planned the trip at all... yet, however I'm thinking of staying at a Home Stay because thats an easy way to meet at least some Japanese people + it would be fun.

If you know/can think of ways to meet younger Japanese people please let me know, even if there's something else you would like to say please do as I would love to hear from you!!!

Thanks so much

-jay

6 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hokkaido, Nagano
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
187 reviews
88 helpful votes
1. Re: How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Save

check out meetup groups in Japan, esp in Tokyo where you might expect a higher proportion of foreigners working/living in Japan.

https://www.meetup.com/cities/jp/tokyo/

Mandello del Lario...
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
47 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Save

YI think you could start making friends now via HelloTalk or a penpal website like penpalhub.com or penpal.jp and then decide who you'd like to meet.

A long time ago I made my first japanese friends through a penpal website (it doesn't exist anymore XD) and we met in Tokyo during my first trip.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Save

Dye your hair blond, sit in a cafe frequented by young people and, however shy you are, you will be amazed how many friends you have after ten minutes or so.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Save

How about staying at a hostel which has a lounge? The employees tend to be young Japanese.

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu, Rugby World Cup, Olympics
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
4,890 reviews
1,664 helpful votes
5. Re: How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Save

Where do you think you're staying in Japan?

2 posts
6. Re: How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Save

@Labrys-JapanDream that's a great idea, I'll have a look into those sites! thanks so much for the reply! :)

Edited: April 16, 2021, 1:52 pm
Reply to: How/Where to meet young Japanese people for a 18yo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.