We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Fuji Travel Advice

Abi
London, United...
3 posts
Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

I'm currently planning out a dream holiday back to Japan for my partner and I. We went back in 2019 but didn't have time to fit in Mt. Fuji, and so this time I definitely want to make sure we do it.

The only problem we faced on our last visit is that I'm a vegetarian (much of my planning so far has been thoroughly researching suitable places for me to eat at!), and so I wondered if anyone has any advice/places worth checking out in the Mt Fuji area that would cater to my diet: restaurants, hotels or ryokan!

10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
1. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

A popular local dish in the Yamanashi Prefecture is Hoto.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6926.html

We like it very much and had eaten in the following place which has a few branches around Kawaguchiko.

http://www.houtou-fudou.jp/english.html

http://www.houtou-fudou.jp/location.html

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,299 posts
65 reviews
144 helpful votes
2. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

Lots of options = https://www.happycow.net/asia/japan/

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

Bring bread. You can buy some sweet ones at the fifth station of Mount Fuji.

I hope you're planning for the summer of next year. Your chances will be very slim if it is this year.

The mountain huts were all closed last year and maybe this year too.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

By the way, do you have experience with hiking? How long do you think you need to walk?

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu, Rugby World Cup, Olympics
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
4,884 reviews
1,664 helpful votes
5. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

Decent ryokans accept meal change request. Advance notice is preferable, but some may ask you at the check in.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

I thought you were interested in climbing Mount Fuji. Are you just going to view it?

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
25 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

I climbed Fuji when I was 55 and managed okay. It s just a long slog. Wear good boots and take some warm clothing because it is very cold up there even in July/August. We took snacks and plenty of fluids.

I also saw many people much older than me walking like they were taking a stroll and then there were some younger people who were really struggling. I would recommend walking poles or at least treat yourself to a Fuji stick.

If you need the loo there were some toilets at some of the stations but the higher you go the more expensive they became. We did not stop to rest at any of the stations other than a 10 minute break outside. We hiked at night to catch the sunrise which was beautiful. I can't remember how long it took but you don't need a guide. You just follow all the crowd and there are a lot of people to follow. A head torch is useful.

Edited: April 16, 2021, 9:18 am
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

We call it "headlamp" or "head-den" in Japan.

I will recommend you taking longer rests and a stay at a mountain hut to get yourself accustomed to the altitude.

Mountain boots and socks are important. You can rent mountaineering spats at an outdoor shop near Kawaguchiko Station.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
123 reviews
242 helpful votes
9. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

If you are planning on climbing Mt. Fuji -

1/. Leave your drone at home.

2/. Wear good footwear. (On one trip saw a foreigner wearing sandals! Fool!)

3/. Be intune/aware of the forecast weather and adjust/cancel plans if it's gong to turn ordinary.

4/. It can get VERY cold (and wet) up there in summer. Be properly prepared for this.

5/. Be aware that this is a sacred mountain and treat it with respect.

6/. Below 3360m is national park above 3360m is private land - belonging to the and the Fuji Hongu Sengen Taisha (Grand Shrine) in Fujinomiya.

7/. Bring cash only. Food/drinks are expensive and only cash is accepted.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
123 reviews
242 helpful votes
10. Re: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Save

If you plan to stay in a hut - they all vary but all are pretty basic - generally a room/s with lots of people literally jammed in together like sardines. Read: burping/farting/snoring. Strictly lights lights out early.

8/. Suggest bring a clean, personal liner/sleeve to sleep in under the supplied tiny blanket.

9/. There will be loud snorers - bring effective earplugs.

10/. Most of the toilets on the mountain are bio-toilets and are really smelly. Perhaps bring a mask?

11/. Follow the hut rules/times and don't err from them.

12/. Bring a reliable headlight /batteries.

Other stuff:

+Buy yourself a wooden hiking stick (¥1200) at the bottom (5th station shops) before you start climbing and have it branded at each station as you climb - makes for a great souvenir to take home. (About ¥300/stamp)

+The trails are generally maintained by a friendly volunteer group that ask for a non-compulsory donation (¥1000) to help them maintain the toilets/trails. Please be generous and help out - you will get a nice little token for your hiking stick or a Fuji pin in return. You will most likely encounter them near the 5th station.

+If you have a Goshuinchou book you can have it 'stamped/signed' by the monks at 2 shrine locations at the top. Get it done early as queues form at peak times (sunrise). TBH the Mt Fuji Goshuin is very plain/ordinary.

+There is a Mt. Fuji post office at the top to send special postmarked postcards/letters.

Disclaimer: As mentioned it's highly likely Mt Fuji trails/huts may not open again in 2021 and if/when they do probably with climbing and hut restrictions due Covid.

Reply to: Mount Fuji Travel Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.