We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
33 posts
53 reviews
28 helpful votes
2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Hi all,

I know it's early to start planning and also very unsure if we can even travel but it is the only thing that I can do at the moment. And I have to say planning this trip is already a lot of fun :)

The plan is to travel to Japan 2022 April-May for 2 weeks. We would love to go longer, however school holidays don't allow this during that time. We could go longer in summer (July-August), but I figured it be too hot and humid. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As I've gained so many great tips for my past round trips I thought to use the forum again. Our party consist of 2 adults, 2 kids (2022 they will be 9 and 2) and my father in-law of 74. My father in-law is Indonesian/Dutch descent. I found out that during the war his father was captured by the Japanse and became a Prisoner of War based in a camp in Fukuoka. My father in-law would like to visit Fukuoka and see if there is anything of the camp remaining or some kind of monument or anything. As I haven't been able to find anything online and have read that Japanse are not proud of what happened back then there probably isn't anything there. Hope you can help me out to advice me if there is.

Furthermore we are looking for a good combination of city and rural places, lots of nature and a good balance of adult and kid things to do. We also want to travel by Shinkansen and if possible even by car if that would aid to our travelling experience.

We do like the tourist places of course, but are very fond of visiting 'hidden gems' which would probably not be hidden anymore if you post them here though. Doesn't have to be all main stream so to say.

And lastly we all have tattoo's (except for the kids of course), but we want to visit an onsen. Any tips on which nice one would allow us to visit them?

To conclude what we are looking for:

- 2 week round trip: advice on route highly appreciated

- good balance of city & rural/city & nature

- good balance adult & kids todo's

- travel by shinkansen and car

- tips on ' hidden gems'

- Almost forgot: tips on best food experiences

It is a long list I know, but I hope to narrow it down with all of your tips.

Thank you!

Rowena

-

20 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

I think you should do a littlle more research first and tell us what your interest are.Interests varies a lot.

If you're coming April to May, heading for Tohoku will be good to see cherry blossoms.

https://sendai-travel.jp/activities/tohoku-sakura/

If you can specify when the two weeks will be, we can suggest more specifically where to visit.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,302 posts
65 reviews
144 helpful votes
2. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Lots of good information for you to read about travel to Japan including suggested itineraries at www.Japan-guide.com

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Can you ask your father-in-law if it is this one he is trying to identify?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuoka_17

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Oh my gosh, Rowena, you can check the names of the POW below.

http://powresearch.jp/en/archive/powlist/camplink.html

Edited: April 07, 2021, 5:52 pm
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
33 posts
53 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Oke I understand from the posts my request was a bit to broad. i will do my research first and come back with a more defined route for you give feedback on.

As for my father in-law's father. i have found a lot. I have found his Japanese interment card which I have had translated from Japanese to Dutch. From that we found out he was situated in Fukuoka camp 9B. There is a whole website on that camp and I even found the hand written prisoners list with his name on it. So it confirmed he was really a prison in that camp. The family didn't know about all of this, so for me to have found that was a revelation for them as their father never spoke about this.

Therefore it would be kind of special is we could visit something related to the camp of that time.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

So will it be this?

http://2nd4thmgb.com.au/camp/miyata-fukuoka-9-b-japan/

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu, Rugby World Cup, Olympics
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
4,890 reviews
1,664 helpful votes
7. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Miyata-machi was merged with Wakamiya-machi to become current Miyawaka city. It's in the rural zone of the prefecture. Driving is a must. Coal mine disappeared decade ago.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
33 posts
53 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Yes that is it. I found most of my info on this website: http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/camplists/fukuoka/fuku_9_miyata/fuku9_main.html

And probably why I couldn't find anything as I was not looking for Miyawaka city. Good to know the location but there won't be anything to go to probably other than that is the location. I'll brief this to my father in-law to see what he wants to do.

Thanks this is already a step further in our search so very happy with that.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

So it sounds you can find more in the Internet than the actual former site.

After the WWII, Japan made a new Constitution and we have Article No. 9.

http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail_main?id=174

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
10. Re: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Save

Tohoku and Fukuoka are in completely different areas.

I think Tohoku will match your needs so far

There is no reason to skip Tokyo.

https://www.tokyopocketguide.com/tokyo/thingstodotokyo.html.

Reply to: 2 week Japan trip with kids & Father in-law 2022
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.