We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan Honeymoon

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Japan Honeymoon
Save

We are planning to travel to Japan for our honeymoon (once travelling becomes safer in terms or covid). We are expecting to stay for approx 3 weeks.

Would you reccomend cherry blossom season or autumn? We wish to have the best weather to enjoy ourselves outdoors and experience what the country has to offer

7 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,306 posts
65 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Japan Honeymoon
Save

Welcome to the TA forums.

“Best weather” is highly impartial. Lots of good information about travel including average monthly weather and suggested itineraries at www.Japan-guide.com

Mandello del Lario...
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
47 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Japan Honeymoon
Save

Both seasons are wonderful, but in my experience autumn usually offers beautiful sceneries throughout many weeks, while cherry blossoms don't last long and you have to be lucky to have the right timing to see them or you have to be able to change your trip plans accordingly. In any case, your trip will be unforgettable. Have a nice time organizing it, follow the Japan Guide link in reply n.1 and also JNTO suggestions: https://www.japan.travel/en/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hokkaido, Nagano
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
187 reviews
88 helpful votes
3. Re: Japan Honeymoon
Save

Both seasons are highly worthwhile. However, sakura blossom is more fickle per location, like in this year the season is about 5 to 7 days earlier in Tokyo/Kyoto. Unfortunately, it cannot be predicted until say roughly 2 to 3 weeks in advance each year.

If you're planning to visit the golden route - Tokyo/Kyoto/Hiroshima for 1st-timers, suggest to visit from mid-Nov thru' early Dec when peak koyo (fall foliage) would be at peak in those as per yearly average.

When do trees turn colors

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

refer to my 20 visits aiming for the same in Hokkaido, Tohoku, JP Alps to Hiroshima/Miyajima from late Sept to end Nov.

http://www.japantravelinsights.com/season/autumn/

another 10 visits for sakura from Kyushu to southern Hokkaido (mid-March to early May).

http://www.japantravelinsights.com/season/sakura/

Edited: April 02, 2021, 10:09 am
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7,213 posts
24 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Japan Honeymoon
Save

Check the climate data at japan-guide.com.

I've been to Japan in August (way too humid and hot), September (still too humid and hot for me), October, and November. My preference is mid-October through mid-November.

My impression is that April can be crowded with tourists and it's hard to predict in advance exactly when the cherry blossoms will appear. I find the fall comfortable, and the colorful leaves don't attract the intense crowds that go to view the cherry blossoms.

April includes cherry blossom season, school holidays, and the Golden Week holidays, so it's a busy travel month, particularly for Japanese people. I've heard that the cherry blossoms are lovely, and it's pleasant to be around the crowds of Japanese people who are quite happy to view the blossoms. But cherry blossom time is probably the most difficult time to get a hotel room in Kyoto! Fortunately, it's a half-hour by train from Osaka to Kyoto, so if you can't get a hotel room in Kyoto in your price range, you could commute from Osaka if necessary. See https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

If Japan opens up to tourists from China, you might also check Chinese holidays for heavy travel periods.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Japan Honeymoon
Save

Hi! thankyou so much for your feedback so far! I am starting to get the feel that even though spring blossoms would be amazing, its quite a gamble with timelines (booking our honeymoon 2 weeks in advance may be more adventurous than what we're usually comfortable with...although in the uncertain times we are living, we wouldnt rule it out).

Would you say that spring rainfall is more disrupting to plans than that of Autumn? Weather predictive webites document volumes rather than time :)

Thanks again for your valuable comments and weblinks - awesome!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
44 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Japan Honeymoon
Save

Well, wait until the travel restriction will be partially lifted. We cannot know anything about next year yet.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

Last year many people thought some International tourists can resume travelling last fall, which wasn't possible in the long run.

Edited: April 05, 2021, 10:02 pm
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hokkaido, Nagano
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
187 reviews
88 helpful votes
7. Re: Japan Honeymoon
Save

>> spring blossoms would be amazing, its quite a gamble with timelines (booking our honeymoon 2 weeks in advance may be more adventurous

Indeed, in normal years I usually reserve Kyoto hotels at least 5 months in advance, especially for sakura blossoms. Another option is to stay in Osaka and commute to Kyoto daily in about 1 hour. However, the later you book the higher the hotel rates (when cheaper rooms have been snatched up) and possibly in less convenient locations.

Rain is a non-issue in either the sakura or koyo season. In general, rainy days cannot be ruled out in any season. However, in those 2 seasons it's due to passing frontal rain resulting in drizzles in a location for at most 2 to 3 days and that's it. It won't be like occasional heavy downpours during the rainy season in late June to mid July or during passing/landing typhoons.

Reply to: Japan Honeymoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.