We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic flight cuts in-flight audio entertainment

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu, Rugby World Cup, Olympics
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
4,890 reviews
1,664 helpful votes
Domestic flight cuts in-flight audio entertainment
Save

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210331/p2a/00m/0bu/008000c

TV and radio live news is often useful for me.

2 replies to this topic
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
14 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Domestic flight cuts in-flight audio entertainment
Save

I don't fly JAL or ANA so often these days, but remember in the old days that they would show a live shot from a camera mounted on the nose of the plane during take off on the main screen in the cabin. Then, it would pan down as the plane climbed. Also showed landing. Always thought that was cool. Haven't seen it for a long time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
71,470 posts
181 reviews
182 helpful votes
2. Re: Domestic flight cuts in-flight audio entertainment
Save

I thought that was equipment dependent. I started seeing live flying shots on 777 but I remembered the cameras being mounted under the belly of the plane. I also remember seeing some nose cameras but can't remember they were also 777's.

>>>but remember in the old days that they would show a live shot from a camera mounted on the nose of the plane during take off on the main screen in the cabin.

As to reducing and eliminating IFE, it's all about money which isn't surprising. Other international airlines have talked about similar moves before. First, they won't have to pay licensing fees so they can offer passengers "free" IFE. Then, at their option, airlines can charge for in-flight WiFi in order to provide content on demand.

Reply to: Domestic flight cuts in-flight audio entertainment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.