We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in japan

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Travel in japan
Save

Hi, I was wondering, if you are planning a one month trip to Japan, how much money in Canadian dollars would you need to have a comfortable, fun trip. I’m not 18 anymore so I’m not looking at going back packing, but I’m not filthy rich either lol, any help or information would be highly appreciated

5 replies to this topic
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
14 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel in japan
Save

So many factors. Not counting airfare, a round number might be 15,000 - 20,000 yen per day for hotel, food, transportation, etc. More or less depends on what you want to do.

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu, Rugby World Cup, Olympics
Level Contributor
10,229 posts
4,884 reviews
1,664 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel in japan
Save

It certainly depends on the specific location, how you travel, your interest, etc.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
71,470 posts
181 reviews
182 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel in japan
Save

"Comfortable" means different things to different folks. As you pointed out, most people start looking for improved comfort when we get older. Also, expect any advice we provide to be in Yen. You can convert the amount back to CAD online easily.

That said, assuming you travel as a couple, and you aren't going the luxurious route:

Basic business hotel (clean, very small room, rubbermaid-like furniture): 8,000 to 12,000 Yen nightly

Mid tier business hotel (more reasonable size, better furnishing) : 12,000 to 18,000 Yen

Better business hotel (approaching Marriot Courtyard size room you find in Canada/US but with better furniture, better front desk, nicer atmosphere): 18,000 to 25,000 Yen

Proper onsen ryokan: 15,000 to 25,000 Yen per person, might include one or two meals though

Note that the above prices are affected by location (Tokyo, Kyoto, etc more expensive vs Kanazawa) and seasonality (holidays, cherry blossoms, etc). Also, weekends cost more.

Meals per person daily (typically sit down places without breaking the bank but also not too frugal): 5,000 to 7,000 Yen

Daily transport within a city like Tokyo per person: 800 to 1,000 Yen

Transport long distance: visit http://www.hyperdia.com to plan your fares for the exact route or even Google Map. You could plan an itinerary that utilizes a rail pass to save money

Admission fees: visit the official websites or http://www.japan-guide.com

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Hiroshima, Miyajima
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
799 reviews
1,166 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel in japan
Save

Welcome to the Japan forums, baby10face.

Although this is pretty generic, it might give you an idea of budgets.

You will need to convert to CDN $ as we usuall work in yen here so the info applies to everyone:

Japan Travel Budgets:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

Lots more valuable info on the site - poke around there for what interests you.

hfot2

Edited: March 29, 2021, 10:53 am
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
24 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel in japan
Save

Welcome to the Japan Forum!

In fall 2018, I did a 2-month trip to Japan and spent an average of US $104 per day, including souvenirs, but not including airfare. To keep costs low, I stayed mostly at Toyoko Inns (a cheap business hotel chain with free breakfast), got lunches and dinners from the shelves of supermarkets (MaxValu) and convenience stores (7-11, Lawson, and Family Mart), and avoided taxis and restaurants.

The best strategy for keeping costs low in Japan is to choose inexpensive hotels. Because Japan has a low crime rate, cheap hotels in unfashionable areas are still safe. Toyoko Inn is a large hotel chain in Japan. You'll get a tiny room with private bathroom, a little refrigerator, wifi, and free breakfast buffet included. Almost all Toyoko Inns are located within a few blocks of a train station, which is convenient. For discounts, join the Toyoko Inn Club just before your first check-in. Plan to use your Club Points for free nights on the nights when the rates are highest. Cleanliness and quality of service are very good at Toyoko Inns, although staff may not be fluent in English.

Check the Toyoko Inns website for more details. Other business hotel chains include SuperHotel, Comfort Hotel, Dormy Inn, and Route Inn. Some travelers won't stay at APA Hotels because of the politics of the owner; you can find details on the internet. The Rakuten Travel website and Booking.com are also good sources for cheap hotels.

My convenience store lunches cost about 700 yen and my convenience store dinners cost about 1200 yen. You should budget about triple that amount if you want restaurant meals. Most people would prefer to go to restaurants for half or more of their meals. Japanese cuisine is excellent. Don't limit yourself to convenience store food. (I'd rather spend time shopping than enjoying quality food, but most people aren't like that!)

A Japan Rail pass is a good deal if you're doing a lot of long-distance intercity travel. Consider flying to Tokyo and returning home from Osaka, so you can get by with a rail pass for only the middle of your trip. (A rail pass isn't cost-effective for local travel within the Tokyo or Kyoto-Osaka metropolitan areas.)

Reply to: Travel in japan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.