We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Japan - Shimonoroka trail

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
123 reviews
242 helpful votes
Hiking in Japan - Shimonoroka trail
Save

I've done a fair bit of hiking around in Japan in the past. Post covid I'm hoping to do the dangerous Shimonoroka Trail up the Kurobe river/gorge (then up/across to Mt. Tate and then head to Yarigetake, Daiketteo etc) I know the Shimonoroka corridor is only open for 4 weeks but I'm getting conflicting reports as to which weeks. Is it early/Sept~early/Oct or late/Sept~late/Oct?Or does it just vary slightly each year according to melting snow accumulation and track preparation?

2 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Hiking in Japan - Shimonoroka trail
Save

Hi, GenkiSudo,

It seems to be the end of the September till mid October, because they have to wait for the snow to melt to prepare the route and the latter half of October you can expect snow.

https://www.travel.co.jp/guide/article/35013/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
123 reviews
242 helpful votes
2. Re: Hiking in Japan - Shimonoroka trail
Save

Many thanks Global - and thanks for the great link. m(_ _)m

Reply to: Hiking in Japan - Shimonoroka trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.