We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2021 Travel to Japan

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

my family of 4, who lives in the USA, and hold canadian and USA passports are thinking about staying in Japan this summer for 2 months.

i am contemplating booking British airway flights from LAX to NRT with points and seeing what happens as June comes closer. we have 2 adults and two kids under 13. the adults plan to be vaccinated before traveling.

i suppose as time gets closer, if americans still arent allowed in, then we will have to postpone or cancel.

anyone else in america planning a japan travel this summer anticipating that restrictions loosen more? hopefully they will accept vaccine stamped passports!

11 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67,299 posts
65 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

Don’t bet on it. At present, all tourists and businesspeople are barred from entering the country. Japan has tightened restrictions due to the new Covid-19 variants.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

Is the US and Canadian borders open? I don't think Japan will open the borders before that.

If we could let tourists in this Summer, we would have let the Olympic spectators in, which we won't.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
14 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

They're not letting in tourists to go to the Olympics, so I can't imagine that they would let other tourists in and then monitor them to make sure they don't attend any events.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

ok makes sense.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
14 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

Good luck! We'd all like to see travel open up again, but I have a feeling that Japan won't be open for tourists until at least the fall or maybe not even until next year.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/heres-the-tentative-timeline-of-japans-covid-19-vaccination-programme-012021

Forget about Japan this summer. Covid vaccinations in Japan won't get into high gear until May/June at the earliest so it will probably be the end of summer before all residents, not including children under 16, get vaccinated. I expect a rolling end to the tourist ban, with countries that have done a good job at keeping Covid infections low to be the first to have travel restrictions removed. The USA has done one of the worst jobs at preventing Covid infections so you should expect the USA to be one of the last countries to get off the banned list.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Hiroshima, Miyajima
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
799 reviews
1,166 helpful votes
7. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

Welcome to the Japan forum, Eugene C

"i am contemplating booking British airway flights from LAX to NRT with points and seeing what happens as June comes closer. "

Please be sure that you can redeposit your BA points to your account without any fees.

I too am of the opinion that travel to Japan for tourism this summer is highly unlikely. indeed, I will go so far as to speculate that autumn foliage will not be available to foreign tourists either.

This is the one year anniversary of our last year's sakura trip flight from Vermont to NRT. We have now missed 3 trip to Japan thus far due to Covid. It's been a battle for many people getting refunds or travel vouchers for cancelled trips. Please check the rules before you purchase your tickets.

hfot2

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

Your optimism is amazing but please check below.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

Even when your entry will be allowed you must go thru a lot of troublesome procedures.

I don't think we will do away with 14 day quarantine within six months or so.

The Japanese Government are not reluctant with the red tape to protect the people living in Japan.

We need more research if the current vaccines also work for the multiple mutations.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

yep, judging by the consensus on this thread, travel to Japan wont happen this summer.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
8 helpful votes
10. Re: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Save

Too bad but please plan for later.  

I think later will be better because some places require advanced bookings to limit the numbers now.

Reply to: Summer 2021 Travel to Japan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.