We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

Hello:

I know discussions get opiniony when it comes to dim sum..... but I need some advice.

Please tell me the 3 best dim sum places with low to medium prices in Hong Kong, as well as the 3 best with high prices.

What are the other iconic food items I should try when visiting Hong Kong: streetfood / meals served in restaurant.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Le Pain Quotidien Elements
₱₱ - ₱₱₱, Cafe, European, Belgian
DiVino Wine Bar & Restaurant
₱₱ - ₱₱₱, Italian, European, Wine Bar
Scarlett Cafe & Wine Bar
₱₱ - ₱₱₱, French, Bar, European
30 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

Low to medium, just about anywhere. HK dim sum standards are very high. So even at low end places you get a good quality dim sum. Dim Dim Sum gets good rec here. Tim Ho Wan is very controversial.

For high end, any of the top Michelin star places. I have been to Lung King Heen and Tin Lung Heen. Both with exceptional service and exceptional prices.

Other "iconic" HK dishes: won ton noodles, hot pot rice, steamed egg white, snake stew, egg tart, little eggs (street food), beef brisket noodle, fresh seafood cantonese style, roast pork, roast duck, roast goose.

Mentioned in this post
Lung King Heen
Lung King Heen
865 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tin Lung Heen
Tin Lung Heen
1,173 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
1,859 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

and curry fishballs

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

Awesome!

Have you tried the executive lunch at LUNG KING HEEN, at 620HK$? As well as at Tin Lung Heen for about the same price?

Prices in HK are usually advertised before or after taxes?

Shall I add tips on top like in America? (what is the %)

What would you recommend as mid-range dim sum places (between the Michelin star and the greasy spoon)?

And what about those greasy spoons being awarded with Michelin star I heard about?

Thanks!

Looks yummy already!!

Mentioned in this post
Lung King Heen
Lung King Heen
865 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tin Lung Heen
Tin Lung Heen
1,173 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

1. The several times I was at Lung King Heen and Tin Lung Heen, someone else paid the bill. So I was blissfully unaware. I do know that they paid tips at 20%. I know, bad American custom. No tax though.

2. Mid range dim sum. There are many chain restaurants serving high quality dim sum. Couple of places I like are on the top floors of I-Square and The One malls in Tsim Sha Tsui. Don't remember the names, but it'll be obvious when you are there.

3. Tim Ho Wan is the greesy spoon with the one star.

Mentioned in this post
Lung King Heen
Lung King Heen
865 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tin Lung Heen
Tin Lung Heen
1,173 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,537 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,422 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

There is no single "best dim sum" place. Each of us has our own (strong) opinion. If you eat dim sum as often as the locals do, they all start to taste the same after a while! Your best starting point is indeed mid-tier chains. Most Maxim's group restaurants do a decent job. There is a Choi Fook (another chain) near my office that is pretty good as well.. Other chains you can check out include Sportful Garden and Ho Choi. Lei Garden is slightly more expensive. The dim sum is well-made but the taste is too strong for me. Avoid the lower end chains like Tao Heung, Federal, etc. Tim Hom Wan is a waste of time and money. I don't like such dim dum-only joints because you don't get the complete dim sum experience in terms of atmosphere.

For higher end, Dynasty at Renaissance Harbourview Hotel is pretty good with a view and service to match. Go on a weekend though as they have more dim sum items available. It's not as exclusive as Lung King Heen or Tin Lung Heen--a good thing actually.

There is no sales tax in HK. You don't really need to tip either. At a lot of restaurants these days, the tips don't go to the staff. Round up by a few dollars if it makes you more comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Lei Bistro
Lei Bistro
259 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tao Heung
Tao Heung
145 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Harbourview Hong Kong
The Harbourview Hong Kong
1,329 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Lung King Heen
Lung King Heen
865 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tin Lung Heen
Tin Lung Heen
1,173 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

one dim sum

tim ho wan (i have no problems with this place)

maxim's (i eat here with the in-laws almost every week)

i have no experience eating high-end dim sum. it's just chinese brunch food really. paying more would be frivolous. like sammy said, if you eat this stuff all the time, it all starts to taste the same..

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

I don't understand. On the other threads, you kept reiterating that you are on a tight budget. But in this thread, you asked about "dim sum lunch at LUNG KING HEEN, at 620HK$", like the sky is the limit? I am confused here.

Food in Hong Kong is the easiest thing to save money on. Because you can eat good food for inexpensive prices. A dim sum that costs you HKD $100 will not be *that different* from the dim sum at HKD $620. You will, of course, not have the same level of service, a view table, supreme decoration and so on. If you are on tight travel budget as you said, then I think this kind of spending should be first to be curbed.

Mentioned in this post
Lung King Heen
Lung King Heen
865 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

Maybe OP is the kind willing to splurge on food but not accommodation. In Western countries, food expenditure tends to be high when compared to the price of accommodation but the reverse is true in places like HK and Singapore.

Edited: April 16, 2018, 3:32 pm
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

low price choice, dimdim sum; medium price, Fu Shing, see my review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Fu Shing:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dim Sum Extravaganza!!!!

>>In Western countries, food expenditure tends to be high when compared to the price of accommodation but the reverse is true in places like HK and Singapore.<<

Thanks, Minxbaby, this could make sense.

>>Most Maxim's group restaurants do a decent job. ... Avoid the lower end chains like Tao Heung,...<<

I think this depends on the individual restaurant as much as on the chain. For instance in the nearest big mall to me, the Maxim's Palace is avoided by locals not because of the slightly higher prices but because of the old-oily taste of most things and over-liberal use of MSG. I went there twice, but am now happy to leave it to the hordes of mainland shoppers. All us locals are waiting for seats at Tao Heung, where the food tastes a lot fresher.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Maxim's Palace Chinese Restaurant
Maxim's Palace Chinese...
1,160 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tao Heung
Tao Heung
145 Reviews
Hong Kong, China