We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
61 helpful votes
Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

Does anyone have any experience with luggage tracking devices such as LugLoc? Any thoughts?

(will be travelling in China but looking for any general experiences or thoughts on these things)

Thanks!

Edited: April 12, 2015, 5:25 am
25 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
47,578 posts
856 reviews
491 helpful votes
1. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

Unlike the US, they don't lose your luggage in China.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,704 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

On the very rare occasion where I might lose a bag (I have never had the pleasure), I wonder what this gadget will tell me? Does it give me the exact coordinate of this bag or does it tell me which airport or train station it is located at? I am not sure how useful that will be.

In any event, you may want to post your question to the travel gadgets forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
61 helpful votes
3. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

It uses GSM towers to triangulate its location. So, I wouldn't expect it to tell me more than whether or not it's in the airport I am at. In large airports, it could probably tell you which region of the airport. It could also tell you it's in an entirely different airport.

Thanks for the reference to the gadget forum. I went over and posted there.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
13,088 posts
4. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

Have to agree with #1. This sort of device is probably unnecessary within China. For internal flight travel, I've yet to hear of anybody having their luggage lost....the Chinese just seem to be a lot more competent on this than most places....plus most travel is point to point not hub and spoke. For internal train travel, you handle your own luggage which stays in the carriage/compartment with you. For intercity coach/bus travel, you place your own luggage into the cargo hold and remove as well. I suppose it could give you peace of mind whenever luggage is out of your reach/sight. But it's probably of more practical use in your travels outside China than in.

At any rate, you should query the company to ascertain if they have proven (through actual field use) that this device will actually work correctly in China.

California
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
18 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

Out of curiosity, I did a Google search and did find one review where a guy had the bag with a Lug Loc device in it at his house and then requested the company to do a track on it. The track showed the bag a few blocks away from where his house was located. Yes, it might tell you that your bag is still at a departure airport versus an arrival airport, but does this increase the probability that it will be returned any more than if the airline does a trace on it? Lets just say I'm not running out and purchasing these for my bags, as it appear to me this mainly adds another $50 or so to the value of lost contents in your luggage.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
11 posts
78 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

LugLoc is a totally useless device. I just got one, installed the app on my iPhone. I then charged the LugLoc, kept it on and tried tracking my device. It took over two hours to find, and all it said was "Device Located." Great. But where was it located? And then what? So it finds the device in, say, Tibet. What do I do? I sent a message to LugLoc support. All I got back was a reply, about 15 hours after I sent the message, "The Lugloc system is working fine and I was able to trace your device." Great. But it's not working. Two or more hours? So this morning I telephoned their number, 305-961-1761, and got put through to someone in Argentina. He told me that he couldn't answer my question but would contact LugLoc support. They'd call me back. Let's see if they bother to do so and see what they have to say. In the meantime, I find this a totally useless device.

Edited: June 15, 2015, 9:24 pm
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
109 reviews
43 helpful votes
7. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

You could also put one of the GPS/GPRS/GSM enabled kids tracker into the luggage. Inside a building you will always online get the building location reported at maximum.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
61 helpful votes
8. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

(just got notified there was some activity on this thread so I thought I would update...)

Back from China and the nerd in me drove me to get a luggage tracker. I chose the Trakdot instead of the Lugloc. I chose the Trakdot because I never got a response from the Lugloc people when I sent questions. I bought two Trakdots.

The Trakdot worked exactly as advertised with the exception of the Bluetooth feature on my Android phone. There's a glitch in the app as of now but they will probably fix it eventually. The Trakdot emailed and sent me a text when it was near an airport every time. I had 6 airport stops and at each one, it let me know my bags were at the airport. Now, it doesn't pinpoint your bag but it was nice (fun?) to know my bags had arrived with me soon after getting off the plane.

It's only going to let you know what airport your bags ended up at. It's more information than you would have without it but, like I said, it's not pinpoint accuracy (not GPS). If someone were to steal your bag, you wouldn't be able to track it.

When the bluetooth works, it also lets you know when your bag is within 30-40 feet of you. Bluetooth did work for me until they updated the app.

There are lots of positive reviews on Amazon that you can check out too.

Oh - as for using a kid tracker - i don't think they are flight compliant. I'm not an expert but I am pretty sure devices can't be using GPS when in flight. I doubt the kid tracker powers down its GPS. I also wonder about battery life on a 12 hour flight. Again, not an expert though.

9. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: September 01, 2016, 10:05 pm
Edited: September 01, 2016, 10:05 pm

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
109 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?

Tucker Q, GPS is not the issue. That would be only a receiver and no sender as the senders are the satellites. However GPS does not help too much for kids trackers in suitcases or in buildings as you need a view to the sky to get a good signal. Battery would not be a problem. Smartphones have battery issues mainly due to power consumption of the display and CPU. There is no display required and the CPU does not need to do much. Same like with the Trakdot. Similar device. Trakdot has some "intelligence" to switch of the radio function during the flight. However, I am not sure if it can comply with all regulations, for example switching off the device when the door is shut.

Does not matter anyway. Kids trackers are for kids and those gadgets for suitcases.

Reply to: Luggage Tracking - LugLoc - anyone have one?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted