We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

Clemmons, North...
4 posts
Save Topic
Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

Good afternoon.

My husband (Egyptian citizen born) has an immigrant visa and plane ticket purchased in a few weeks. He has his military exemption paperwork (only son) he went to get the stamp in his passport from the military as well and they refused to do it saying his passport says he is still military age, even with the exemption paperwork from them. We don't have enough time to get a new passport and a new visa. Again, he is exempt from military service and has that official document which the embassy accepted previously. Will he be able to fly with just that paperwork or does he need the stamp in the passport from military office as well? Military office told him get a new passport but this is not possible...the visa becomes invalid with a new passport and again we have tickets in week. How can we legally get around this to ensure he can fly out without issue? He isn't trying to do anything wrong or illegal, he is exempt and has that document from the military

9 replies to this topic
Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

Is he above thirty? Final or temporary exemption? Cos I am an only child and remember that after 30 I got a final exemption and only then did the passport stamp change and I believe (but not sure) that it is imperative to have the correct stamp. I see no reason not to believe what the military guys tell him to do as they know the procedures best. There must be a solution to this one way or the other and I hope things work out fine for you both.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

This is a holiday forum... I am sure nobody here could possibly give 100% accurate information

You would be better off going directly to the Embassy

Karen

Clemmons, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

He can't get a new passport, then the visa is not valid and we don't have enough time to wait months to get a new visa etc. He is not 30 yet.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

Under 30 is the whole point! He can only have permanent exemption at such age and can only have the right passport stamp then. I think Karen's advice is best, the embassy may know how to work this out. It is a fix but I think he is partly responsible for it for not having explored and found out the right process and procedure and needed time frame to get this done. Good luck.

Clemmons, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

his dad is 60. as you know that qualifies for final exempt to be only son with father reaching 60. embassy said this is not their problem, they issue the visa and they did. this is Egyptian not American issue. and we didn't know it was an issue. he went to get the stamp with his exemption paperwork in hand.

also there are other questions in these forums related to topics like this. only reason I posted here.

Clemmons, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

just a heads up for anyone reading, as I seen other similar questions around this page.

you can travel with two passports when needed. people do it all the time, one that hasyour visas in the back (they stay valid) and the current passport (which for us will have the military stamp)

so the solution is get a new passport and keep the old one with the valid visas.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

Great you could find this out real quick! You did not explain at first his dad was already 60 hence some irrelevant advice. Hopefully he can have the new passport issued in time. All the best.

Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

My wife and my daughter got new Egyptian passports either the same day or next day. So Egyptian passports can be issued pretty quickly. As Spin Doc says, the guy from the military should know best. Get the new passport and either get the U S visa transferred over or attach the old passport with the new ( but check with the embassy if that is acceptable).

Friday the official offices will be closed for four days so see if you can get something done later today.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper

If he is under 30 so his exemption is not final so before travel he have to go to the military administration of his area and get a (Travel permission) document, with that paper he can travel without problem, without it he will be turned away at the airport of Cairo

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Reply to: Leaving w/o military stamp in Passport, has exemption paper
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cairo