We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giza Pyramids

Connecticut
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Giza Pyramids

Is there another entrance into the Pyramid complex of Giza in addition to what is referred to as the Main Entrance? Perhaps one close to the Sphinx? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
8 replies to this topic
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giza Pyramids

The entrance to the Khafre Valley Temple and Sphinx Temple is directly opposite a KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants and there is a road leading back up to the ticket office and the plateau itself. However, you must go to the main entrance in order to obtain the admission ticket, and pass through the security screening, so it's pretty pointless to attempt to enter the site via this route.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giza Pyramids

I’ve bought my admission ticket and gone through security to enter the Giza Plateau at the eastern ‘Sphinx’ entrance (the one more or less ‘across’ from KFC) loads of times over different visits with no problem whatsoever.

You did, however, have to use the ‘main’ northern ‘Mena House’ enterance if you wanted an optional ticket(s) to enter any of the pyramids themselves along with your general admission ticket. As far as I know, that was the only difference between the two entrances.

When did this all change?

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Marriott Mena House, Cairo
Marriott Mena House...
1,890 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giza Pyramids

Maybe since they introduced the X-ray machines to screen everything entering the area, including luggage if you are in a car/bus which has to be removed and put through the machines before entry, didn’t see any at the Sphinx entrance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giza Pyramids

I always got my pack searched and, as I recall scanned (could be wrong about the scan), at the Sphinx entrance. I don’t think vehicles ever used it.

Edited: June 10, 2018, 10:49 pm
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giza Pyramids

Now that you’ve mentioned it, I think vehicles wanting to enteri the plateau always had to use the ‘main’ northern enterance. I remember cars and tour buses parked near the ‘Sphinx’ entrance but that’s all. The (revised) question is now whether people on foot can sitill buy a ticket at and go in by the ‘Sphinx’ entrance and, if not, when that changed.

😋

Edited: June 10, 2018, 11:07 pm
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giza Pyramids

I was in Giza last December and bought my ticket at the so-called Sphinx entrance as I've been doing for a number of years now. I'll be annoyed if they've stopped doing this as the main entrance can get quite busy and chaotic at times and it is not that convenient if you're staying in one of the guest houses opposite the Sphinx either. There is a little ticket window to the left of the door where you enter and there has been a walk-through x-ray machine and one for bags inside the office for at least five years. You've never been able to buy the 'top up' tickets at this entrance - as pointed out in post 2 - nor any of the new combo-ticket deals that I noticed on offer last year but, as off six months ago, you could certainly buy general admission tickets for the plateau at this entrance...

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giza Pyramids

Thanks. If there’s been a change, it’s a very recent one.

😋

Connecticut
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Giza Pyramids

Thank you all for taking the time to inform me and going into such helpful detail.

Reply to: Giza Pyramids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;