We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian Museum

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Egyptian Museum

Do the exhibits at the Egyptian Museum have English explanations? We enjoy history but are not really museum buffs so we do not need long explanations of what we are looking at. I am trying to decide if we can do it on our own or should we hire a guide. Thanks

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian Museum

The artifacts are mostly labeled but, when I was last there, they were very sparse on explanation. I gather things have improved somewhat but if you want details you can hire a guide or better yet buy a decent guide book. There are guides for hire at the museum but I’m told they tend to rush you around the place and a guide book would do just as well.

Edited: June 08, 2018, 12:50 am
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian Museum

Most objects are labelled in English. I second getting a good guide book and doing a bit of reading ahead of time. The museum is a big place and has lots of interesting objects spread out everywhere. Some reading ahead of time will allow you to plan out a visit for the amount of time you want to spend there.

Check out the royal mummy room (need to buy a separate ticket for it). If you would like to take photos of the object you can buy a photo ticket that will allow you to take photos without a flash. If I remember correctly the museum is open late if visiting in the evening works better for you.

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian Museum

Thank you both those are very good suggestions. I will study up on what we would like to look at..

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian Museum

cwhite, rereading what I wrote about the photo ticket I realize that I should clarify it a bit. The photo ticket costs 300LE. You can use it in the museum except to take photos in the royal mummy room and in the room where Tut’s death mask is.

Wellington, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptian Museum

I was traveling alone so got a tour guide.

Went to the museum 1 day ago and you cannot take cameras in. If you wish to do you have to pay or leave it at a holding station. I left my camera and it was returned but the people are very blasé.

My tour was quite rushed though I saw what I needed to see. There are thousands of items in the museum all very interesting but I feel the tour was good because they save you a bit of haggling from the locals.

Remember nothing in Cairo is free, not even the toilet. They will ask you for money after you use the toilet with no toilet paper.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egyptian Museum

“...the tour was good because they save you a bit of haggling from the locals.”

Aside from a guard or two possibly trying to engineer a tip, why would you get ‘haggling’ from the locals once you’re actually inside the Museum?

Edited: June 08, 2018, 12:24 pm
Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egyptian Museum

Thanks. I think that we will hire a guide. We want to maximize our museum experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egyptian Museum

It’s your time and money but, if you want to “maximise” your Museum experience, note Post #5 which comments “My tour was quite rushed”. This I understand is a fairly common complaint (especially about guides hired at the Museum itself). So, you might want to think about investing in a well-recommended tour package.

Edited: June 09, 2018, 12:03 am
Wellington, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Egyptian Museum

My guide was via the Marriott Mena House “tour company” Misr tours. So it was not a guide from the museum.

Well the local haggling can range from the guy waiting outside the toilet you use or people trying to sell you souvineers. Even the person who holds your camera for free will ask you for a tip when you pick it up.

The best thing about having a private guide take you to and from the hotel is that you don’t have to find your own way there e.g an uber isn’t even safe but at least you know what it will cost for the trip, a taxi will haggle you.

Cairo is rush hour 24.7 so if you intend making you own way to the museum, that’s a whole adventure in its self.

Edited: June 09, 2018, 2:38 am
Mentioned in this post
Marriott Mena House, Cairo
Marriott Mena House...
1,920 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,568 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egyptian Museum

Toliet and checkroom attendants expecting tips are hardly unique to the Egyptian Museum or even to Egypt. I can honestly say that no one has ever hassled me to buy souvenirs inside the Museum. Cairo’s traffic is indeed hectic but, whatever risk there may be, having a guide does not reduce it. A little perspective please.

😋😋

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Reply to: Egyptian Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted