We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?

4 posts
Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

I want to take my grandmother along with me to Yangon and Bagan in August. She is reasonably fit as such, but cannot walk too much (especially stairs). Is Myanmar friendly for that?

Also, any recommendations of places to see/eat at (we're vegetarian!)?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
284 reviews
70 helpful votes
1. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

If you can arrange the private car and not visiting to the places with staircase, it shouldn't be problem.

4 posts
2. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Thanks. Which are the places which we would have to avoid because of staircases?

We can manage the private car.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
284 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Do you have itinerary? If it is more easier to advise. Hope you understand I cannot list down all the places from Yangon and Bagan in here.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Yangon is a busy town with lots of traffic, obviously. Crossing Sule pagoda road can be a challenge. Perhaps visit more quiet villages , like Inle lake and Bagan, you will need at least a week for three or for places.

4 posts
5. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Day 01: Arrive in Yangon, city tour Arrive in Yangon, the former administrative seat and the reigning commercial capital of Myanmar. Take a short relax at the hotel and start the tour of art and culture round the city. First, hold your breath through the ascension to the upper floors of Pansodan gallery, the creeping 20th-century museum.  Then head up to Chauk Htat Gyi Pagoda which demonstrates Myanmar’s everlasting obsession with Buddhism as the seventy-meter reclining Buddha statue. Stroll around the Kandawgyi Lake and admire the Karaweik, a golden barge in the shape of a mythical bird. As the dusk settles on the city, prepare for an unexpected awe as the sight of Shwedagon Pagoda renders you speechless. The pagoda represents an epitome of Buddhist worship as Myanmar people centre their life around this monument. Overnight at hotel in Yangon.

Day 02: Yangon and surrounding villages Today we will keep going the tour round the ancient capital of Burma, futhermore , you will get the chance to enjoy a fascinating boat tour to discover the real life of a typical village by Yangon. In the morning, sightsee Bogyoke Market, formerly Scott Market. Then take the local “circular train” for a 3-hour ride through the city and the rural areas around to observe the vibrant and colorful life of local people. In the afternoon, boat transfer to Dalah, a small village on the other side of the Yangon River, ride in a rickshaw and visit of a candle factory. Back to Yangon, spare some time to dig into the relics of Downtown Yangon under the British Domination Era with the treasure that the city often underrated. Overnight at the hotel in Yangon.

Day 03: Flight Yangon/Bagan, temples sightseeing Prepare your luggage carefully for the flight to Bagan, a must-see destination during your culture trip of Burma. A whole day dedicated to the discovery of the area with the most impressive archaeological site in Asia. About forty kilometers from the left bank of the legendary Irrawaddy River, over 2000 temples, pagodas and stupas of all sizes and shapes emerge here and there, out of sight. A visit the temples plain by carriage will gice you a good chance to gently sightsee the most well-noted pagodas such as  the temple of Ananda with a long-lasting history and that of Thatbyinnyu whose top of 62 meters dominates the other temples of Bagan. By late afternoon, climb up the top of Pyathatguy pagoda to watch mesmerizing sunset over the stunning temples area. Overnight at hotel in Bagan.

Day 04: Bagan, traditional villages In addition to the remarkable temple complex, Bagan is also well-known for its authentic life of the residents in the villages around. Thus, the day tour will begin with the discovery of the colorful and lively Nyaung Oo market, still very authentic with its wide variety of goods. Transfer by boat to visit a Burmese village, discover their agricultural lifestyle. Continue with the visit of Min Nan Thu villages and Phwa Saw, specialized in making ox-cart wheels and lacquer ware, here you could try yourself to creat unique souvenirs for your relatives. If time permits, discover the agriculture activities of a local village nearby to have a real experience of Burmese farmers’ farming techniques. Back to the hotel at the end of the day. Overnight at the hotel in Bagan.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
284 reviews
70 helpful votes
6. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Hi

It looks alike a guided tour plan.

From the list, here is my comment;

Day 2 Boat riding to Dala will be a bit challenging to your grandma. If you have other idea please replace it.

Day 3 Climb up to the top of Pyathatgyi Pagoda, I am not sure they still allow to do so??? If still allow also it will be narrow stair case and difficult to control the balance for the elder.

Day 4 transfer by boat will be a challenge too.

The rest are ok.

4 posts
7. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Thank you!

Also, this is a separate question, but she hasn't been anywhere in SEA. Would it be better to take her to Myanmar (with this itinerary) or go to Cambodia (Angkor Wat)?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
284 reviews
70 helpful votes
8. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Either Myanmar or Ankor Wat is ok. Except Ankor have many temples with stair case and able to climb up. Price Cambodia is much cheaper while Myanmar is expensive for travel.

I will let it open for your to decide.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Hi Shiva,

I don't know where did you get this program. I found some hardworks for your grandmother. So please pay attention these points...

Day 1 - It's about 1 km to stroll along Kandawgyi lake and be aware of holes on the old bridge.

Four staircase on each direction, very hard work for your Grandmother. But don't worry, there are lifts and one escalator on the Western stairways.

Day 2 - It is very slippery and needing 101% attention to get on/off the circular train. You know, it is raining August. So does a Ferry to Dahla which is on the other side of Yangon River_the Ferry are old and normally crowded and mind the gaps. Also, be careful with people rampage.

I don't have any comments for Bagan_that sounds good.

If you think don't want to buy a private package tour, I recommend to rent a private vehicle for your trip. I like these rental agencies.

http://www.yangonrentacar.com/rental-rates

https://www.myanmar-rentacar.com/

http://www.nyanmyintthucarrental.com/

Tour guide is another thing I think you should have for day-to-day guidelines and assistance.

Most importantly, please take fully note that you will need the pristine and crispy notes.. Please read the article for more details....

https://www.destinationmyanmartravel.com/important-bring-crisp-us-dollars-myanmar/

Good luck!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Is travel to Myanmar suited for elderly?
Save

Ankor wats temples all have very steep stairs, most people get tired from climbing up and down and through the large temples. There are also many more tourists than in Bagan so it get crowded in the main places.

Get answers to your questions about Myanmar
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.