We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apply for visa for transit in yangon?

4 posts
apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

Hello everyone,

I will arrive in Yangon with my flight coming from Europe. From there on I will straight on take an air asia flight to Cambodja. I will have to collect my luggage and check in for my airasia flight.

Do I need to apply for visa in Myanmar?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
22,080 posts
424 reviews
1,168 helpful votes
1. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

You will have to go airside to collect your luggage.

I think you can get a transit visa from your local Embassy & I suspect you will have to show this (with your ongoing flight tickets) before you are allowed to board your first flight ?

http://www.mip.gov.mm/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/TransitVisa.pdf

SS

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
2. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

I have the same issue and just gonna get a visa to save hassle.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,080 posts
424 reviews
1,168 helpful votes
3. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

But get a transit visa because if you get an evisa you can only use it once and if you want to come back to Myanmar it will cost you another $50

SS

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,379 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

Really not sure why people are flying to Yangon to transit to another country, I always found flights to Yangon from the UK more expensive than to Bangkok, where most people will not need a visa. Bangkok also has more flights.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,080 posts
424 reviews
1,168 helpful votes
5. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

Ray-I agree,seems a bit unusual to me...

SS

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
6. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

I paid £295 for a ticket London to Yangon via Beijing with air china, dire airline I know but a lot cheaper than other options.. I was gonna spend 15 days travelling around Myanmar but decided to pop to Thailand for a few days to visit friends hence the need to leave and re enter Myanmar.

With a transit visa would that allow me collect my luggage, exit the airport and re enter to check in to my departing flight?

Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,379 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
7. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

Not sure about leave the airport, I have read you have to stay within airporrt and have flight out within 24 hours. Not sure of cost, is it the same as a visa? If you are going for more than a day you will need a evisa, cost $50 before you go. If you need to leave and re-enter you will need to get a visa each time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
996 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?
Save

Generally you only need to do that if you need to leave the terminal, get your bags, and recheck them with another airline. Again generally speaking, if you are flying on air asia from point a to b and you just change planes in Yangon, you can pretty much just go to your next gate, I just do not remember seeing any signs for mid airport security when I landed there. If you are taking a different airline though your bags will not transfer and you will have to get a transit visa. Just a pointer though, if your layover is long, there are several hotels that are down the street from the airport and a night market that is around there too. There is next to nothing to do in the Yangon airport other then shop so you might consider getting a visa if you have more then a few hours to kill

9. Re: apply for visa for transit in yangon?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 11, 2019, 12:18 pm
Get answers to your questions about Myanmar
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.