We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Requirements For Overland Transit?

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
794 posts
97 reviews
Visa Requirements For Overland Transit?

Does anyone know if American citizens need a VISA for overland bus travel through Paraguay? I was thinking about taking a bus from Iguacu to San Pedro de Atacama. The bus crosses the border in Ciudad del Este, which I know has no border control, and it just travels through Paraguay without stopping, than crosses into Argentina somewhere outside of Asuncion. Will we get in trouble at the Argentinian border if they catch us without a Paraguayan VISA? As US citizens, do we need a Paraguay VISA if we are only passing through by bus without stopping?

The bus also travels through a peace of Brazil, which also requires a VISA, however I read that around the Iguacu Falls area, people can cross to the Brazilian side VISA free, as they know a lot of tourists just visit the Brazilian side of the falls for a few hours than go back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
1. Re: Visa Requirements For Overland Transit?

I did a portion of this trip a few years ago, and a Paraguay visa was not required to board the bus, neither was it checked at any point.

HOWEVER, to definitively answer your question, can you properly articulate your itinerary from point-to-point with specific countries mentioned.

Good luck to you.

2. Re: Visa Requirements For Overland Transit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: January 03, 2018, 2:16 pm
Get answers to your questions about Asuncion