We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impromptu trip, requesting input please.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
22 posts
Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

My husband & I had a trip planned to Cape Town, but the flights were canceled. We can’t change our dates, so we needed to find a new place that we haven’t traveled to. We booked flights (on points!) to Jordan. That’s the only thing we have booked so far.

We arrive early May 23 & depart early May 30

Definitely a little nervous about the heat, and we are not the most athletic couple. (Being honest)

But, we have traveled all over the world, and Jordan has definitely been on our list.

Would like input on where to stay. Areas? Hotels? Have a lot of Marriott points, so would like to stay in that group.

8 replies to this topic
Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
1. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

Pachic, I would recommend a typical itinerary for you:

23 Arrival, check-in in the required hotel and afternoon roam around Amman and overnight in Amman

24 Do the northern part, visiting Jerash and Ajloun and overnight in Amman

25 Start heading south through the kings way, visiting Madaba, Mount Nebo, cross through Wadi el Moujeb, the Karak castle and head to Petra, Overnigh in Petra

26 Full day visit to Petra

27 half a day visit to Petra and then head further south to Wadi Rum, do a 4 X 4 excursion, and overnight in a camp

28 Go back north through Wadi Araba road, and spend the night in the dead sea.

29 you may relax in the resort until evening, and then you may leave to the airport.

Its not too hot now a days, round 30º C

Hope this will help you

Wadi Rum, Jordan
Level Contributor
676 posts
18 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

Hi Pachic,

The suggested trip plan of ElExperto71 sounds good and covers some of the most famous places in Jordan. You might want to consider skipping the second half-day in Petra on 27 May so that you can spend a whole day and night in Wadi Rum. The desert is vast, and there is much to see and do. Spending a full day and night allows you to get a good impression of the desert and the Bedouin lifestyle and culture.

Further, you might want to add an activity on 28 May. You can hike the wet trail in Wadi Mujib or visit the Dead Sea Panoramic and enjoy the sunset there.

Wishing you a wonderful stay in Jordan,

Bianca Abma

Wadi Rum Nomads

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
16,019 posts
41 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

The transition month from spring to summer means warm to hot temperatures in Jordan.

the landscapes are still lush and ablaze with wildflowers. This is one of the two peak months for international visitors, reflecting that May is a great time to visit.

check this link for weather forecast .if anything to go by its looking good

https://www.arabiaweather.com/en/daily-weather

Ramadan and Eid out the way people go back to work normal hours.so you can have full days.

Itinerary from ElExperto seems good and workable.

When in amman take a free walking city tour on foot as tourists attractions and souq are located within walking distance its the highlights of visiting the capital

raymond

amman pasha hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
4. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

I have a similar question but I’d be leaving the 22nd (arriving very late) and coming back the 30th (afternoon) What would you recommend to add to the trip? Many thanks!

Edited: May 11, 2021, 5:27 pm
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
206 reviews
133 helpful votes
5. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

Even I am agree with the above suggested itinerary, it sounds good, not rushed either. And, stay in Wadi Rum the whole day therefore 2 nights, as Bianca says, there are many places to see. It is a huge area with two different deserts, one red and one wild white which I like actually more than the red one. Even if the red color is amazing.

@a.cavone, you have only 8 days - actually probably only 6 days if I count arrival and departure. So you can't add much more to the trip. Don't try to see as much as possible when your time is limited.

Edited: May 11, 2021, 6:29 pm
Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
16,019 posts
41 reviews
96 helpful votes
6. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

As stated by Khamlia not much you can add to above itinerary for 8 days visit .

Can easily spend a day in amman especially downtown as you find tourists attractions Citadel,roman theater ,Nymphaeum and of course souq are within walking distance .Can take a free walking tour of the downtown to explore these places.

immerse in local culture participate in cooking class for popular jordanian dishes

raymond

amman pasha hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
7. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

Thanks all for your input. Can I ask a question just for the sake of safety, have previous situations like the current in Jerusalem have had an impact in Jordan?

Level Contributor
1,069 posts
130 reviews
140 helpful votes
8. Re: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Save

Things are relatively calm. There are a few days of rallies and protests outside the Israeli embassy in Amman but other than that there isn't much going on. MPs are vocal in the media and submitting proposals in support of Palestinians for how to respond to the violence but nothing that would stir things up and be of concern to foreigners visiting Jordan at this time. In a nutshell, it is safe to travel to Jordan.

Reply to: Impromptu trip, requesting input please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jordan
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.