We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private tours

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Private tours
Save

My husband and I are looking to come to Jordan in october. We were wanting a guide for 3 days. We were going to stay in Amman at a hotel and each day go somewhere different. Petra, Dead Sea and do what ever is suggested on the third day. I was wondering if it is possible for someone to pick us up from our hotel each day to take us to those destinations? Any recommendations?

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
988 posts
130 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: Private tours
Save

Corinnewbs, having Amman as your base and traveling to Petra and Dead Sea is not the most efficient way to see the sites. You will end up spending most of your time in a car and less at the sites themselves. Petra is about 3 hours from Amman, each way. The Dead Sea is about an hour each way from Amman and about 3 hours from Petra. You can use Amman as a base if you are wedded to Amman but you will find few prior travelers who recommend it. There is so much to see and you have little time.

Are you looking for a driver or a tour guide? I ask because if you have both, it can be expensive. Not all tour guides will drive you (many times charge extra) and drivers are not allowed to go into the sites with you. If you hire a driver, many times they will provide information on the sites you’re are visiting, while driving. It is cheaper to hire a tour guide at the sites themselves (e.g., Petra, Jerash, etc.). I know the Petra Visitors Center advertises guides for 50 JD (~$73) for 2 hours. At Jerash it runs about 10 – 20 JD.

My suggestion would be to start in Amman and have a driver drive you to Petra in the early morning. If you get there by 9-10 AM, you can spend the whole day seeing most of the attractions including the Monastery (depending on how fit you are). Spend the night in Petra and have your driver pick you up and drive to the Dead Sea. Spend the day and night at the Dead Sea. Have your driver pick you up the following day and take you to Jerash and Umm Qais and possibly Ajloun Castle (about an hour north of Amman) for the day and then drive you back to Amman or to the airport on the third day. The aforementioned is based on a 3-day itinerary, per your post. If you had more time you could add Wadi Rum which is about 4 hours from Amman – if so, I would add this before Petra and it will take a full day – can’t do it the same day as Petra. Keep in mind that you do not need to pay your driver for all 3 days and you do not pay for accommodations (unless you go through a travel agency which usually charges you for overnight stays). He will (should) quote you prices for each leg of your trip (e.g., Amman to Petra; Petra to Dead Sea; Dead Sea to Jerash; etc.). Contact several drivers to get price quotes because you will definitely get prices that run the gamut. If you need any recommendations, feel free to PM me. I have hired over half a dozen during my travels to Jordan but only recommend a few.

Enjoy your trip!

2. Re: Private tours

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 01, 2021, 7:56 am

Wadi Rum, Jordan
Level Contributor
194 posts
3. Re: Private tours
Save

As suggested by LegalRover it would be best to spend at least one night in Petra. The site is large and not practical on a day trip from Amman. Further it is probably advisable to arrange drivers and guides separately. You can organise transport between the major points of interest and then a guide in those respective locations. You will not need a guide at all while at the Dead Sea although if you make it into a day trip and visit some of the nearby sites then it would be worthwhile.

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
15,953 posts
41 reviews
96 helpful votes
4. Re: Private tours
Save

Corinnewbs if indicate time you arrive and depart that would help assist you as how to best plan your route for 3 days in Jordan.

raymond

amman pasha hotel

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
206 reviews
133 helpful votes
5. Re: Private tours
Save

Agree with Raymond, it would be helpful to know arrive and depart time.

Be careful about drive time, it can also take longer time than it is saying above. And not add more than you write about. If you add Wadi Rum then you need absolute one day more. The same about Jerash if you think at that. For this you need at least 5 hours = 2 hours for to go there and back and 3 hours for to see it.

People often want see as much as possible but then it can be like to make a cross in the place box but to see it more properly they can't. I am used to say better to see less but more than see more but less.

Reply to: Private tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jordan
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.