We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming istanbul 11 october to 14 october - 4 days

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
coming istanbul 11 october to 14 october - 4 days
Save

Hello friends :) i am coming istanbul unfortunately alone but i hope i can enjoy as much as possible !

can any one advise me how can start my day to go which place is beautiful and interesting.. i have total 4 days i want to spend my 4 days all beautiful places in istanbul

and please help me about ferry what is deal their and how long route for ferry what is deal their pls give me information or any site?

and my last question is if i want to go Barsa? what is the best way to go fast and economy.. i saw picture on google its is very natural beautiful place :)

and final question in hotel to leave laptop is safe or not?

thanks in advance

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
216 reviews
338 helpful votes
1. Re: coming istanbul 11 october to 14 october - 4 days
Save

Hi M Faisal,

You should do a bit of research so you select the sites you find most appealing. Get a copy of DK Eyewitness, or do a bit of reading online. Try allaboutturkey.com or turkeytravelplanner.com.

Most tourists like to visit all the sites in the old town of Sultanahmet. You should plan to spend at least 1/2 of one day at Topkapi. Be sure to purchase tickets for the main palace as well as the harem. Then you should visit Aya Sofya, and the Basilican Cisterns right around the corner from Aya Sofya. You might enjoy a few hours in the outstanding archeology museum on the grounds of Topkapi. You will want to visit the Blue Mosque, and perhaps walk through the adjacent Arasta Bazaar. There is also a nice little Mosaic Museum at the Arasta Bazaar.

On another day you might want to start at the Grand Bazaar and then exit from the rear of the bazaar and walk down the tiny side streets to the Spice Bazaar. The little crowded side streets are where you find real bargains, and lots of Turkish people shopping. I take most of the day to visit the two bazaars. Once at the Spice Bazaar you should visit the Rustem Pasha Mosque. It is tricky to find because it is on the second floor of a structure near the Spice Bazaar. Look for the minaret or ask someone. Anyone can point you in the right direction. You also might want to visit the Yeni Cami in front of the Spice Bazaar.

On another day you might enjoy taking advantage of the placement of Istanbul and start the day in Europe and have lunch in Asia. Take the ferry from Eminonu,, across from the Spice Bazaar and easily reached by tram from Sultanahmet. Buy a token for the Kadikoy ferry. It will take 20 minutes to reach Kadikoy. You can spend the entire day here. You can walk down elegant Bagdat Street. I love walking around in the fresh food market. You should absolutely eat a meal at the famous Ciya. Enigma has a great thread on things to do in Kadikoy. I am not on my computer so I cannot access the link, but you can find it by using the search block, or maybe someone else will post the link for you.

If you want to spend one day on the Bosphorus you should catch the 10:30 ferry to Andolu Kavagi. It takes 90 minutes to reach this village at the mouth of the Bosphorus. You can climb the mountain and see the ruins of Yorro Castle and get great views of the Black Sea. Then walk back into the village and enjoy a seafood lunch before getting back on the ferry. The ferry will stay at the village for 3 hours, and bring you back to Eminonu by 4:30pm.

If you do not want to spend the entire day viewing the Bosphorus you can take a shorter cruise on the Bosphorus. There are ferry companies that offer 90 minute and two hour cruises up to the second bridge on the Bosphorus. You can get nice views of the elegant homes on the Bosphorus, and have a nice experience on the Bosphorus without giving up your entire day.

Other places you might want to visit include Chora Church, Dolmabahce Palace, the village of Ortakoy, Taksim Square and Istiklal Street, the Galata Tower, the Suleymaniye Mosque, Pierre Loti cafe and maybe a visit to one of the elegant and modern malls in Istanbul.

If you want to visit Bursa it will take all of one of your four days, and I would not go to Bursa and miss any of the previous places I have mentioned. I go to Bursa by taking the first ferry from Yenikapi to Yalova in the morning. From the Yalova ferry dock I catch the bus to Bursa. We visit the Silk Bazaar, the outlet store selling Turkish towels and a couple of spectacular mosques. Then we return to Yalova and try to catch a ferry that will return at sunset so we get terrific photos of the sun setting on the Sea of Marmara.

I generally suggest that you put any electronic devices, extra cash, and your passport in the safe of your hotel if there is not a safe in your room. I do not remember that we have ever had a report of people experiencing a theft from their hotel room, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: coming istanbul 11 october to 14 october - 4 days
Save

Thanks for your precious advised......

yes i will try my make plan you given me places... :)

for safety you corrrect i heard lots of peoples there is lots of pick pocket and taxi scam i will be carefull and i hope in my hotel their is safe so i can save my passport , laptop or otherwise i will buy money belt :)

Cirali / Antalya
Level Contributor
13,384 posts
33 reviews
201 helpful votes
3. Re: coming istanbul 11 october to 14 october - 4 days
Save

A note for travelling in the month of october..do be advised that the dates of October 14 - October 19, 2013 do fall within the turkish holidays of "KURBAN BAYRAM"

KURBAN BAYRAMI AREFESİ 1/2 GÜN 14 EKİM PAZARTESİ

KURBAN BAYRAMI 1. GÜN 15 EKİM SALI

KURBAN BAYRAMI 2. GÜN 16 EKİM ÇARŞAMBA

KURBAN BAYRAMI 3. GÜN 17 EKİM PERŞEMBE

KURBAN BAYRAMI 4. GÜN 18 EKİM CUMA

Kurban Bayramı (koor-BAHN bahy-rah-muh) is the most important Islamic religious festival of the year, and a 4 or 5-day public holiday in Turkey. It will affect your travel plans, so be prepared for it.

I would reserve your accommodations , long haul transportation ( flights, buses etc ) well in advance,

Also keep in mind the day before the beginning of the holiday some places ( local shop keepers ) may also be closed early on that day or during the holiday

All banks and government offices will be closed during the holiday so make sure that you have taken care of any of that business before hand.

at the beginning of the holiday and end transport may be busy as travelers leaving and return home.

I also would not let the holiday in october put you off in coming ..Kurban Bayramı doesn't mean you shouldn't go to Turkey. You should plan for the holiday. Be assured that tourism doesn't come to a halt during Kurban Bayramı,

some museums and sights (such as the bazaars) may be closed on the first day of the holiday, but most will be open for some of the other days. or open later in the day say around 12pm

yes banks and public offices will be closed

Shops and bazaars tend to be closed on the first day of the holiday, but some if not most will re-open after the first day. A few shops and businesses stay open even on the first day to provide essentials

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
23 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: coming istanbul 11 october to 14 october - 4 days
Save

Thanks canmom

for useful information

i am coming 11 october early morning and back 14 october in night so i dont think so it will effect my plan only must be return to airport on time :)

thanks both of you

5. Re: coming istanbul 11 october to 14 october - 4 days

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: September 28, 2014, 12:17 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.