We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Save

When we travel, we charge most things to our VISA card. In some countries, we have the choice to charge either in "destination" currency or "home based" currency. Given that possibility, we always choose "destination" currency (ie in this case, Turkish Lira) and let VISA control the exchange rate, which have always been reasonable.

How do hotels and restaurants handle this? Do they give you a choice on which currency you will pay?

7 replies to this topic
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Save

The only legal tender in Turkey is Turkish liras. If you were paying cash, you might be able to pay for large-ticket items in other currencies. But if paying electronically, TL.

Duty-free is one exception, as are ATMs.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Save

I've been here for 3 weeks and the currency used here is vary between TL and €. Transportation is quoted in €, even one shop in Grand Bazaar use € on their price tags. Some hotels offered to use € when paying their bills with card, also US$ but so far never found any restaurants which charging others than in TL.

Hope this helps,

Sandra

3. Re: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: December 01, 2021, 5:26 am
Edited: December 01, 2021, 5:26 am

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Save

To say "transportation is quoted in €" implies that Turks use euros to get around, which is of course not the case. I assume you mean a transfer from your hotel to the airport or vice versa.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Save

Or you're confusing the sign for the Turkish Lira - ₺ - with that for the €.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
26,285 posts
154 reviews
198 helpful votes
6. Re: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Save

We have been visiting Turkey since 2004 not that long, I know and have a place there, we have never used anything but the currency of the country which is Turkish Lira. It does not matter what currency Turkish businesses want to put their prices in,.. We pay in Lira, simple 😊

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
416 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Save

prices are quoted in different currencies for convenience,but always use Turkish lira for restaurants,cabs,etc. your card will be charged in your currency when the transaction goes through.

Reply to: How will I be charged in Istanbul ie which currency?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.