We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hasankeyf and Diyarbakir trip

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
Hasankeyf and Diyarbakir trip
Save

I'm writing this from my hotel room in Diyarbakir. Once I'm back home in Istanbul I will write a more complete report.

I've come to the South-East of Turkey for a long weekend. I love this area of the country - so much history, not over touristy, good food, architecture, hospitality and the chance to see people living a more simple life that doesn't exist in my country (England) anymore.

The reason for my trip was to join an art and volunteering gathering as part of a group called Hassankeyf Matters. The group wants to raise awareness of this lovely village, which is due to be flooded as part of a dam construction. I believe this will be a very sad and regrettable event should it take place. It's a beautiful and historic village that generally receives only local tourists. I'd include it as a must see on any itinerary of Turkey outside of the usual routes. I had a wonderful weekend there, doing art, meeting locals, hiking and taking part in projects with local children.

Now I have a day in Diyarbakir before flying back tonight. It's not 9 am yet but I've already walked on top of the city walls and down to a historic bridge. Does anyone have any suggestions how to spend my day?

By the way, I wanted to mention that I'm a woman on my own (although I wasn't in Hasankeyf). People often ask questions about safety and I want to share my experiences and confirm that it's fine to be a woman alone here. Obviously I'm not walking the streets at midnight in skimpy clothes though. I'm developing an impressive tan but only on my forearms and feet :)

Looking forward to writing up all the details about this trip, which has really allowed me to get a closer look at every day life out here.

1. Re: Hasankeyf and Diyarbakir trip

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: May 22, 2015, 1:17 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.