We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chances international tourism restarts by October?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
196 posts
60 reviews
35 helpful votes
Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

I've read the latest news stories about vaccine passports and such and how the Government want's to open to international tourism.... for those familiar, what's the likelihood American tourists will be allowed in, specifically Hanoi in October?

46 replies to this topic
Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

>what's the likelihood American tourists will be allowed in, specifically Hanoi in October?

My opinion? Quarantine free independent travel for Americans? 0 chance by October.

The Vietnamese Civil Aviation Authority came up with the 3 stage plan (probably in response to the outgoing Prime Minister's request that the various departments come up with a plan for how to restart tourism).

They mentioned "September" and the crowd went wild.

But they also said:

> The third phase may start in September, depending on the COVID-19 vaccination process in Vietnam and an assessment on herd immunity after that.

Vietnam needs 150 million doses. They've got about 1 million so far. They WON'T have 150 million by September.

The ministry of health came up with their thoughts:

> The ministry also proposed that “vaccine passport” holders should spend a seven-day quarantine period at State-designated establishments and take two tests. If the tests show negative results, they will self-quarantine at home or places of residence for an additional seven days.

and

> pointed out the high risk of COVID-19 outbreaks following the roll-out of the “vaccine passport” programme, given a small number of vaccinated people in Vietnam.

That's why I say no chance at all for quarantine free independent travel for high risk countries by October.

There was talk last year of countries being considered 'safe' if they had no community transmission in 30 days. I think they've moved past that to 'safe' being vaccinated and tested passengers being required to quarantine until Vietnam has vaccinated their own population.

Given the trickle of vaccine they have had, I think their only hope for opening any time soon (e.g. 2022) is for their home grown vaccines to be effective, safe, approved and available in quantity. That can't happen by October.

Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

Oh, and on Hanoi specifically:

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/20210413/hanoi-to-administer-350000-covid19-vaccine-doses-in-2021/60332.html

> The Hanoi Department of Health declared an estimated volume of 350,000 vaccine doses to be rolled out in 2021

That's a very small drop in the ocean required.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
3. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

I agree with Manat, no chance.

And unfortunately, I'm not even terribly confident about October 2022. :-(

Scott

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
196 posts
60 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

Pretty much figured. Thanks so much.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
114 helpful votes
5. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

Vietnam is fighting against the Covid 19 epidemic very well. It is hoped that in the third quarter of 2021, international tourists with vaccine passports will be admitted to Vietnam.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
214 reviews
160 helpful votes
6. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

Admitted possibly, but not without quarantine Bao.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
45 reviews
55 helpful votes
7. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

Doubt if it will happen. Not with Cambodia surging https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/new-cambodian-covid-19-outbreak-puts-vietnam-at-high-risk-4262453.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
21 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

Bertie, Im surprised Cambodia didn't go bad early on. Testing was almost non existent.

They should have called it the heartbreaker virus. Just as you think you are getting on top of it, it goes bad somewhere else.

WHO says it hasn't even peaked yet.

Im consoling myself to another 2 years or more.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
449 posts
19 reviews
26 helpful votes
9. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

I had my son call today. He’s terribly down and homesick As bad it is for those of us wanting to go there to travel there must be hundreds of workers from all over the world effectively “stuck “ there. He can probably get back here but has no guarantee he can get back in, to his partner (who is from the Phillipines, visa nightmare). job, home. Worse there is no forward date when us or anyone visiting will change. Not to mention those who can’t get back home to Vn. I had everything crossed to go at Christmas, now, 🥺It’s not great.

Edited: April 17, 2021, 1:52 am
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
45 reviews
55 helpful votes
10. Re: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Save

Sadly Ruby, many are in the same boat. My stepson mentioned about going back to Vietnam during the school break (July /Aug!). As I said to him, I'll be amazed if we get there come Christmas. Quarantining on arrival in Vietnam, for us, wouldn't really be much of an issue. A necessary pain maybe but then we might have issues quarantining (at much greater cost) coming back to the UK.

Currently everything is static, such I very rarely give travel abroad a thought. Next year ...maybe.

Reply to: Chances international tourism restarts by October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hanoi
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.