We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking

UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
50 reviews
43 helpful votes
Smoking
Save

Hi, Are there any hotels that are totally smoke free as opposed to just having non smoking in rooms?

Thanks,

6 replies to this topic
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
62 reviews
42 helpful votes
1. Re: Smoking
Save

Not that I'm aware of..

Annie

Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Smoking
Save

Vietnam has has a Steering Committee on Smoking and Health since 2013. http://vinacosh.gov.vn/vi/tin-tuc/tin-trong-nuoc/

Not so's you'd notice, though.

If you want 100% smoke free, you'd probably be better going for an AirBnB. So many people smoke in Asia that smoke free hotels haven't caught on. I'm sure there's a market, but they'd be competing against hotels with smoke free rooms and a larger target market.

Smoke free rooms in the better hotels are usually pretty good and the public areas are usually large enough and well enough air conditioned to be fine. At the lower end, I often get the feeling that when you reserve a smoke free room they just get housekeeping to hide the ashtray.

All that said, you'll still be hit by traffic fumes as soon as you hit the street :-/

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Sapa, Bac Ha, Bao Lac, Mu Cang Chai
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
233 reviews
145 helpful votes
3. Re: Smoking
Save

Hello,

Do a web search for 'non-smoking hotels in Hanoi'

and see what you come up with.

I can't recall smoking in any hotels in Hoàn Kiếm district and often choose hotels with a balcony so I can smoke without going outside of the building.

Prior to COVID, Hanoi has a staggering number of hotels many of which catered specifically to foreign tourists. Even today, a quick search on booking.com shows over 1000.

If in doubt, send an email to the hotel to confirm.

Take care 😊

Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Smoking
Save

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22hotel%22+%22hanoi%22+%22smoke+free+property%22

Throws up quite a few, but as Mike says, check with the property since truth in advertising has yet to hit Vietnam.

UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
50 reviews
43 helpful votes
5. Re: Smoking
Save

Thank you to all who replied, much appreciated.

From research done, seems to be a smoking culture so may not be best destination for us at the moment health wise. I have e mailed couple of high end hotels, with varying results. We visit Singapore quite a lot, no issues there but apparently only around 12% of population smoke (and people seem to adhere to the no smoking rules) but circa 40% in Vietnam....but apparently going down!

Dollar, United...
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Smoking
Save

It's not just smoking that's hazardous in Vietnam: https://aqicn.org/city/vietnam/hanoi/us-embassy/

Reply to: Smoking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hanoi
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.