We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

This was my 1st scam incident and which leave me with a bad impression on my 1st trip to Hanoi. I arrived on 2nd June 2018 in the morning about 9:30 am at Noi Bai International Airport and as we moved out from the arrival hall we saw a man waving to us beside the coach on the pick up point telling us to come aboard as they would transport us to the Old Quarters and was told us the cost is 4 USD or 70k Vietnam Dong per person.

After we had settled into the coach without paying yet, not sure why another of his companion then came into the coach to collect the money from us. As I was removing my wallet and trying to retrieve the correct amount to him, suddenly he told me to give him in small domination only and swiftly picked up my stack of notes from my wallet in a manner whereby the full face of the notes were facing me to avoid any suspicion from me as I would be able to see where the stack of notes went to.

As the Vietnam Dongs I had that time were in 500k Vietnam Dong domination and facing opposite from my line of sight so I did not realized he had magically flicked 1 million Vietnam dongs into his palm before returning back to me. It took less than 30 seconds throughout the process with him repeatedly telling us to give him in small domination only. This kind excuse should be an alert to all of us because by telling us to provide him with small domination is just a tactic from them to divert our attention only.

After that the 1st person who waved us in came on board on the pretext of trying to settle our situation and we gave him 140k Vietnam Dong in the small domination my partner have for the fare without realizing the missing money until we move off from the airport.

I hope this would expose their tricks and be a warning to everyone and try not to let anyone have a chance to pick your money from you.

7 replies to this topic
Bangalow, Australia
Level Contributor
586 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

It's a pity you didnt do some reading on TripAdvisor before you left the airport...

1.. You never go with someone that is calling you over, unless you have pre arranged a car with your name clearly on it. ..

2. You never ever take your wallet out of your secured money pocket belt whatever you have chosen, you only carry small enough change, and you never ever let any one touch your Wallet...my husband only carries small change in his top buttoned pocket. I never carry a purse or handbag..

This is all too familiar.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

Why do they let people grab their wallet/money? The above is good advice, keep a small amount of cash handy so you don't need to pull out a wallet with millions of dong in it.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

"Why do they let people grab their wallet/money?"

That's why they invented credit cards: people were too gullible to handle real money. And luggage weight limitations makes bartering cumbersome, like how many goats can you actually stow in the overhead compartment?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

A lesson for you. Need to read the reviews carefully. And make sure you got the right Vietjet shuttle as I don’t think they dared to do so. If yes, you could reach their customer service to complain about this case and I think they will seriously investigate this case. Last but not least, the price of the Vietjet shuttle is only 40,000vnd not 70,000vnd as you said here. Make the complaint I would suggest.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,007 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

Last week some people were letting strangers take their shoes off their feet, this week they're letting them take money out of their wallet

On the Thailand TA forum couple of years ago, an Indian couple lost money after a complete stranger started talking to them in the street, and wanted to see what Thai money looked like, so they handed over their cash to him so the guy could see the banknotes. He did not return all of it :) lol

Come on, when travelling you have to use your brains and common sense

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

What? Never pull out all your money and never let anyone else touch your money. I always research and write down the amount or estimated range (from tripadvisor); write it in my notes; count out $ and hold in my pocket.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam

Thanks for letting me know. At least it is helpful for me if I see this happening I can step up and let these scammers know some of us are onto them

Reply to: Beware of Vietjet Airport Shuttle Scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted