We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Topic
Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Hi people,

I'm considering moving to Vietnam for a duration of 3-12 months depending on the quality of our stay, and I'm looking for some accomodation. Can be a bungalow, beach house, apartment (would have to be a nice one) or a hotel even:

My requirements are that there is availability of high-speed Internet, and proximity of a gym.

Would also like things like supermarkets and restaurants not too far off, cheap but good food.

Plus points are a laundry service,

Something in a less crowded area, beach area or nice nature area is a plus too.

Any thoughts on the where, what, how?

Edited: April 04, 2012, 2:23 am
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

You could solicit a private message from one of the expats on this forum, as they often know where to look. Once you arrive you will be given the opportunity to do the rounds and look at places.

In Nha Trang, everywhere is close to the beach (in my book), but it might involve riding your bike for 3 km. Or even walk. Big deal.

Remember, that TV, Internet, electricity, water, cooking gas, cleaning is extra. So are sudden rate hikes.

For three months I'd not bother myself, I'd try to negotiate a good rate in a hotel with a large room. Most hotel rooms at the rate you are suggestion, though, are unsuitable for working as the space and furniture are limited.

It is easy to fall in love with a holiday destination, but sometimes the nitty-gritty details uncover the small issues that you will have to deal with.

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,888 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

For that price you won't get anything in HCMC. Nha Trang you will but prices are going up. If you ever get here I will show you the different apartments that are available. Houses or villas I can put you in touch with an agent. Villas we are talking much more. Most places will ask for at least 3mths up front.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Sash P,

Antwerp, Belgium,

Yea it'd be nice finding something all-inclusive. Including electricity, water. And things like a laundry & cleaning service on the side...

--------

Sadly such things usually come with a price tag. $200 will not get you what you want. $400 will be a sort of minimum but I wouldn't expect it to cover the utilities. You'd have more luck with a room. I was paying $400 in HCMC and that included water, electric (inc fridge & tv) and wifi. A service apartment will have what you desire, but at a price to match.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

As a followup I was told today that there are people right now who would rent my apartment 3-6 months @US$1,000/month minimum plus utilities. Furnished or unfurnished.

3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 138 square meters/1,500 square feet. 50 meters from the beach. 17th floor overlooking the ocean and the Nha Trang skyline 3 km away.

I am not soliciting, just bringing the current price structure into perspective. I am not thinking about renting.

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

1000USD/month in Nha Trang? Crazy...you can find very reasonable places with amazing views like that in Europe easiliy.

I've already seen places that look decent enough for 250-350usd online, and that's probably including a commission for the estate agent, so I'm sure one can do much better yet...

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

$1000/month-- not crazy at all for 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms at 138sq meters. If you are finding places like that for $250-$350 I would be very very careful that you are not getting scammed.

Most often in Vietnam the commission for the real estate agent is paid by the renter, not the rentee. At least that has been my experience here in Hanoi.

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Not looking for multiple bedrooms or bathrooms. 1 bedroom/double-bed is enough for me :)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Sash P

1000USD/month in Nha Trang? Crazy...you can find very reasonable places with amazing views like that in Europe easiliy.

-----------------

True but you wouldn't be in Vietnam. Property prices are above the region average. e.g. Property in Thailand comes in at about half the price.

=========

I've already seen places that look decent enough for 250-350usd online, and that's probably including a commission for the estate agent, so I'm sure one can do much better yet...

--------

As Tecalli says watch out for the $250 etc mark. I found plenty online while in HCMC and even ended up visiting an agent in HCMC who was advertising such apartments for $350-400. They had nothing in that price range at all and immediately steered me to several costing $800+. Other $400 apartments I found wandering around were just rooms let in large houses and some were in a pretty bad state. I came to the conclusion the adverts were a con to get punters through the door. I ended up in a cheap hotel in the centre (one double bedroom with ensuite bathroom). Only thing that was lacking was a cooker - not a big deal as I usually ate out every day. Got a discount for long term rental. Job done.

Edited: April 11, 2012, 8:13 pm
Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Thanks for the info 69bertie.

So it seems Thailand might seem the place to go instead?

Cheap food in places on the outskirts of places like Phuket too?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Update: I just ordered 12 mbit/s via fiber at VND 350,000/month. The other option was 2.5 at 150,000. Fiber based tv with 82 channels, 6 of which are HD is 100,000/month. Had the building not been new it uwould have been a little cheaper, as cable is older technology than fiber.