We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Topic
Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Hi people,

I'm considering moving to Vietnam for a duration of 3-12 months depending on the quality of our stay, and I'm looking for some accomodation. Can be a bungalow, beach house, apartment (would have to be a nice one) or a hotel even:

My requirements are that there is availability of high-speed Internet, and proximity of a gym.

Would also like things like supermarkets and restaurants not too far off, cheap but good food.

Plus points are a laundry service,

Something in a less crowded area, beach area or nice nature area is a plus too.

Any thoughts on the where, what, how?

Edited: April 04, 2012, 2:23 am
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Actually Viet1, ripoffs involving rentals can cost much more than a few dollars. There are frequent stories in Hanoi of, for example, foreigners paying 3 months rent only to find out they paid the rent to someone that did not own the building. Or paying advanced rent and then finding out the building is being torn down for renovation. Or signing a lease but then getting rent returned and being told to move because the landlord has found higher paying tenant. Maybe Nha Trang is very different in this than Hanoi, but its important to be careful and if you don't really know the scene you may want to work with a reputable agent to help you sort through these potential pitfalls.

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Hi Tecalli, agree you have to be careful. Over the many years here in Nha Trang I only know of one ex- pat who has had a problem, and that amazingly has made it to court! When it comes to rentals here it's pretty good. I think the word has got out amongst the landlords that if they get a good long term tenant to look after him as it's in there best interest. Some of the apartment blocks here are owned by ex- pats and there Vietnamese wife's and others by overseas Vietnamese and all is fine there.

I would be more worried about going down to or near the sailing club and walking home late at night:-)

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Thanks for the info so far. Quite useful. I'm looking to spend something in the +/- $200 price range per month for a long-term rent. With above-mentioned amenities and in a nice district - i.e. want as high value for money as possible. If the quality is amazing, i.e. laundry services, great Internet, awesome area, etc. this could be a little more.

Anyone know of any good agents or sites or know people who can guide around locally?

Oh and with regards to safety/scamming/late-night street walks - they don't have guns or so in these areas no? I do quite a bit of bodybuilding and am probably 2x the size of these guys :-)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

You will have no safety problems, just don't let yourself get pickpocketed or robbed outside certain bars late at night.

I don't think that $200 will buy you much, but you never know. In Nha Trang I'd deem all districts nice, it is not a big city.

I think that Tecalli may have forgotten what quality internet speed is, though :-) It is improving, but you might actually look into getting a 3G subscription for your smartphone and use tethering. And Tecalli is in Ha Noi, possibly the powers that be have made sure they have good speeds in the capital.

Well, I shall find out for myself next week.

Edited: April 04, 2012, 5:01 pm
Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Let us know ;-)

speedtest.net to test :-)

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Please do report back on your experiences. I am very curious about real estate, especially when there is a beach involved.

For Hanoi, you would be very hard pressed to find anything for $200/month. But I suspect thats because embassies and such provide a generous living expense package. Also in Hanoi a long-term rental means several years and 3-12 months would be short term.

Edited: April 04, 2012, 5:27 pm
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

And watch that utilities bill, it is often variable. Feeding that airconditioner is not cheap.

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Yea it'd be nice finding something all-inclusive. Including electricity, water. And things like a laundry & cleaning service on the side...

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,533 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Sash I fear you are looking for something that doesn't exist at $200 pm.

I know of places that you can get for $6 a night but that is just a basic room.

I would be surprised if you could get a flat, bungalow, house or villa for that, particularly in a good position. I consider VN to be the cheapest place around to live excepting leasing.

Cheers Ross

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

And in the 300-400 range? With all above-mentioned amenities?

Any sites, agents where to look?

Any local contacts anybody has?