We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Topic
Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Hi people,

I'm considering moving to Vietnam for a duration of 3-12 months depending on the quality of our stay, and I'm looking for some accomodation. Can be a bungalow, beach house, apartment (would have to be a nice one) or a hotel even:

My requirements are that there is availability of high-speed Internet, and proximity of a gym.

Would also like things like supermarkets and restaurants not too far off, cheap but good food.

Plus points are a laundry service,

Something in a less crowded area, beach area or nice nature area is a plus too.

Any thoughts on the where, what, how?

Edited: April 04, 2012, 2:23 am
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

In Hcmc or Nha Trang you will have no problem finding an apartment or hotel that suits your requirements.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

I would also suggest Nha Trang. But you may need to qualify 'high-speed Internet'.

I am going to subscribe to internet as well in two weeks in Nha Trang and I am not optimistic about available speed. I am used to 50Mbit/s.

Edited: April 04, 2012, 3:30 am
Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

How would it be best to go about finding accommodation though? Online? Any particular sites?

Are HCMC and Nha Trang the best places then?

And what about scamming problems? tourist police

@OnAndOffRes.. I'm used to 100mbit too, but i'd be happy as long as i can browse the net, and download things like pictures and Facebook instantly.

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Also which is cheaper and has better food quality, Vietnam or Thailand?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

I don't know about accommodation. Your best bet might be to just get there and look around.

Clearly, you have not been to either HCMC or Nha Trang, you wouldn't have to ask :-)

Possibly, the internet infrastructure is better in HCMC. The past several years I have been in Nha Trang, internet speeds have been abysmally slow in every installation I have tried, even the Sheraton.

Scamming police? What is that? Should answer your question. Tourist police? Yeah, they have been known to fine tourists.

Food? since it is a matter of taste, who can tell which is better. I like Vietnamese food.

Edited: April 04, 2012, 3:50 am
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Besides,

"Something in a less crowded area, beach area or nice nature area is a plus too."

kind of excludes HCMC.

Antwerp, Belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Ok then Nha Trang seems better.

Hmm, for Internet I'd really need something where I can at least update things on Facebook, pictures, websites, instantaneously. Don't need to be downloading movies and such..

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Apart from certain difficulties accessing FB from Vietnam you should be fine then. The difficulties are rumored to be manageable. I don't have a FB account myself.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Virtually all places that will rent to foreigners will have high speed internet access. I find internet access far better in Vietnam than in the U.S. The block of Facebook comes and goes, but even when its in place its a very simple matter to get around the block.

There are LOTS of rental agency sites in Hanoi with pictures and often video clips of apartments/houses/villas available on-line. I am sure that Nha Trang is similar. The rent will be cheaper the longer the period you want the place for. And in Nha Trang I imagine the rent may vary by season. Do talk to someone with some experience in the rental market in Vietnam. Rules are different here and you want to try and avoid problems from the start.

One of the cable channels back in the U.S. has this program called House Hunters International where they document the process of an individual/family looking for a place to buy/rent in a foreign country. They have had several programs recently on HCMC and Hanoi, maybe you can provide them with a show on Nha Trang.

Edited: April 04, 2012, 7:55 am
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long-Term Rental in Vietnam (3-12 month rental)

Likely better to do when you get here as you would have to look at the place and talk to the landlord. Renting a house is another option and depending on how much you want to spend you can get some real good ones. There are villas to rent here but there out of my price range so have only looked at them from the outside, looked good. There are a few real estate agents here and they would be able to help you and show you a variety of properties. No problems with Internet, in fact it's very good and inexpensive.

I find Vietnam cheaper than Thailand. In Nha Trang there's plenty choices of food and many ex- pats stay here with no problems. As for scamming if you are street wise or just have normal intelligence you should have no major problems. All of us here have been ripped of at some stage but you soon learn. When I say ripped of it's only for small amounts of money. Petty theft does happen but mostly late in the evening.