We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jomteim Qs

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
20 reviews
17 helpful votes
Jomteim Qs
Save

We're a couple inour 50s looking to go to Thailand in Feb next year. Only Bangkok flights suit so looking for a beach resort close by.

looked at Hua Hin as a possiblilty but, Jomteim has been suggested as an alternative.

Clearly Pattaya would be too busy for us but, we do like a bit of nightlife and a decent size resort with a nice beach to explore. Would Jomteim fit the bill?

Are there nice beach hotels within walking distance of bars/restaurants?

Any advice or recommendations would be graetly appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
15,136 posts
59 reviews
115 helpful votes
1. Re: Jomteim Qs
Save

No replies, so I will give you my opinion.

Jomtien is an unattractive strip of beach backed by hotels, restaurants, bars etc. It is not a ‘town’ as such, more a slightly distant suburb of Pattaya.

Based on what you say I would suggest Hua Hin which is a well established beach resort popular with Thais as well as foreigners. Countless bars, hotels, restaurants spread out over quite a large area.

There is in HH a range of hotels from cheap and cheerful right up to fairly pricey but as you don’t give a budget it is not possible to make any recommendation.

Maybe now that I have kicked off this thread others will chime in.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Pattaya
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
38 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: Jomteim Qs
Save

I might be a DE for Pattaya but IMO a couple in their 50s may be better suited for a stay in the Hua Hin area rather than Jomtien.

Yes I do stay in a monthly rental apartment in Central Pattaya when I come to Thailand. This is because I have built up a large friends network amongst the ex pat commumity in and around Pattaya and come as a single tourist. Accommodation for my needs is very cheap in Pattaya compared with say Bangkok. I can also take daytrips from my base to Bangkok, Sri Racha, Sattahip, Chonburi and parts of Issan if longer stay is required.

I can't comment on the nightlife in Jomtien because it does not appeal, although have been there frequently day time to sit on the beaches which are much tidier than Pattaya's. I get the impression from visiting this area daytime it is frequented by a high population of non English speaking Eastern European's.

Lisa M is a DE for Pattaya and hope she reads this thread and has more positive advice.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
41,168 posts
3. Re: Jomteim Qs
Save

Not been to Jomtien but my wife and I have stayed in Hua Hin and would again.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
4. Re: Jomteim Qs
Save

charlie a

Ayrshire

-

Do you intend to actually swim at a beach?? Or, like other tourists, just look at the water but use a pool when they want to get wet? Mostly looking and walking the beach but using a hotel pool Jomtien might do for you.

Personally I prefer Pattaya over Jomtien. I don't mind walking around Jomtien area but prefer Pattaya nightlife and accommodation. (More stuff to walk to.)

Transportation in this area is cheap compared to places like Phuket.

There are many nice hotels in this area. Will they still be open when this virus thing ends, maybe.

Below link shows hotels in various price ranges in this area.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g293919-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province-Hotels.html

Don't like either Pattaya or Jomtien move on to another city or beach location.

* There are family groups, including little kids, who frequently stay in Pattaya City.

Up to you.

Lymington, United...
Destination Expert
for El Gouna, Pattaya
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
93 reviews
184 helpful votes
5. Re: Jomteim Qs
Save

I have been going to Pattaya for many years and obviously I love it (I’m 51 years old). My first trip to Thailand I thought Pattaya would be too noisy and busy so I picked Hua Hin which was a big mistake as it was too quiet and boring for me (although my Dad loves it but he is 80). The 2nd time I picked Pattaya and stayed at the Avanti (Ex Marriott) and had an amazing trip. I have to say that I’m not really a beach person as I like to sit by a swimming pool so if swimming in the sea is important then give Pattaya/Jomtien a miss. If like me you like to look at the beach and sea but not swim then Pattaya may be for you. I love walking and there are lots of places to walk to and some good sightseeing in Pattaya. I love live music and many of the bars have live music. I love eating out and Pattaya has lots of great restaurants from cheap to expensive, also lots of street food. Pattaya also has great markets, shopping malls, day trips etc. I always used to stay in large resort hotels like Marriott, Avani, Dusit Thani but now I tend to pick cheaper hotels and use them as a base as I like to travel to other places. I have stayed in Jomtien for a week and found it rather soulless and again the beach was not good for swimming and nightly entertainment was rather dull and very limited. The baht bus is another bonus for Pattaya as it is 10 baht (20p) so convenient for getting about cheaply. How long are you planning to go for? What is your budget? The Dusit is a fantastic hotel if your budget allows and is one of the few hotels with direct beach access and is located on Beach Road so easy access to shops, bars etc. These days I always stay in Soi Bukhaoe but that’s because I like to play pool and hotels, bars and restaurants are cheaper in this area (probably not ideal for a first timer). Jan and Feb are my favourite months so you made a good choice there (providing Thailand is open for tourists by then - I have ruled out my Jan trip as I’m not sure things will be up and running that soon) . Please feel free to message me with any queries or questions. Lisa

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
278 posts
63 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Jomteim Qs
Save

LisaM

If you find Pattaya to be "noisy and busy", which it definitely is, and Hua Hin to be "quiet and boring", on a scale of 1 (quiet) to 10 (busy), if you ranked Pattaya a 10, what would you rank Hua Hin. Compared to other beach-oriented cities in Thailand?

Its not a debate question, it provides comparative information amongst beach destinations in Thailand.

Thank you.

Lymington, United...
Destination Expert
for El Gouna, Pattaya
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
93 reviews
184 helpful votes
7. Re: Jomteim Qs
Save

CharlesR Pattaya is very large and some parts are beautiful and quiet and other parts like Soi Bukhaoe are noisy and busy. I find Beach Road great during the day and also great to watch the sunset whilst having a meal and a few beers (5/10). Soi Bukhaoe in the evenings I’d rate 9/10. Naklua is also a favourite of mine and again rate it 3/10. Hua Hin I’d rate as 4/10. Koh Chang is a big favourite of mine and although quiet it has bars and restaurants and I always visit there for a few weeks when I’m in Thailand (2/10). . Kanchanaburi I’d rate as 4/10 but again has a certain charm and is a place I love. Visited Phuket once and hated it so will not be returning threre. The ratings I’ve given above are for the noise and how busy they are and not an overall rating. It’s very hard to recommend places to others as we all have different preferences. I honestly thought I’d hate Pattaya but as a long distance walker it was perfect for me and in the evenings I can relax in a bar and watch the world go by.

Edited: April 11, 2021, 8:13 pm
Reply to: Jomteim Qs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pattaya
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.