We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
30 posts
157 reviews
168 helpful votes
Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

I have a loose implant. In the USA (San Jose, California) getting the implant replaced with a new implant or having a bridge done will cost me about $3300. Today (Oct 5, 2016) Samitivej Hospital quotes me prices. IMPLANT 95,000 Baht. BRIDGE 75,000 Baht.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Yes it's much cheaper and just as good. Make sure you find a dentist with good feedback and such like.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
8,578 posts
1,630 reviews
560 helpful votes
2. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Sawasdee,

Dental work at Samitivej Hospital usually costs more than dental work at a dental office on a street.

Teeth cleaning at a dental office near Bangchak BTS station costs me 500 Bahts. Teeth cleaning at a dental office in Dallas costs me $90.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,997 posts
25 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Aren't 95.000 THB equivalent to US$ 3.000 and a few odd ones? Where is "a fraction of price"?Even smaller clinics will charge this. Price will always depend on type of implant depending on your needs. Same applies to your bridge. Above price doesn't include xray or CT scan. How much will it cost if your US dentist will have to deal with an infection if such occurs after you left Thailand?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
22,926 posts
4. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Allow enough time for the work to be done. Don't buy and fly.

My guess is that the dentist will determine if they can salvage something from the previous implant or even be able to do another implant. A partial bridge will be cheaper than what you can get back home. You can ask the prices before the major work is done. But schedule sufficient time for the work.

(Back home in the US my brother's dentist had to build up his jawbone structure (bone augmentation) when he went in for implants. The process was not something done in a few days.)

Good luck.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
77 posts
5. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

I recently look into this, as I am travelling back and forth between Bangkok and Scotland (So cannot comment about USA) I have found that cosmetic work, cleaning etc, is a lot less expensive in Bangkok, but for some of the remedial work I needed e.g. in my case sedation, replace a root filling, x-rays etc, then the costs I was quoted in BKK was similar to Scotland. Consequenlty, as I had better things to do in BKK, I got the work done in Scotland.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Yes, dental work here in the Land of Smiles is definitely lower in comparison with my dental clinic back home in LA, Ca. (USA). The thing is, back in the US, I was quoted with a single-tooth implant procedure at almost $4,000. So I opted to search for a dental holiday instead and found a dentist in Bangkok (Dr. Sunisa of Bangkok Smile MALO CLINIC) who quoted me with only $1,800 for the single-tooth implant, in fact using a top-quality implant by Nobel Biocare. When I finally went for my trip to Bangkok, everything went smooth as Dr. Sunisa was professional and easy to talk with in English, more like a native-speaker like me. Then I learned she was educated in the US and Portugal as well. And the best news I got was that my implant has international warranty because of the malo clinic IPGP or international patient guarantee program in which I can visit any of the malo clinics worldwide in case something goes wrong with my dental implant.

Edited: 6 years ago
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,997 posts
25 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Hmmh, too much praise would make me very sceptical if I was looking for a dental recommendation. A lot of work has gone into those posts of praise for this one dental shop. If I didn't know the shop...

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Indonesia, Bangkok
Level Contributor
26,377 posts
161 reviews
100 helpful votes
8. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

For many years now I've visited a dentist in Bangkok annually. Although it's only ever been for cleaning and polishing, i found that the end result was a lot better and the dentist much more gentle than my experience at home.

I've just done an estimate of the cost and it's less than half of what it would be in my home city. Sorry I can't help with comparisons for more serious procedures.

Europe
Level Contributor
974 posts
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
9. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Also bear in mind that some treatments will prevent you from fully enjoying several days of your holiday thereafter. So plan the timing accordingly and add several days to your trip would be my advice.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
23 reviews
36 helpful votes
10. Re: Is Dental Work in Thailand Really "A Fraction of the Cost"?
Save

Agree..too easy for a few to recommend good experiences only for the next few who actually follow the advice to have worse experiences...my own advice would be to look at dental departments attached to major hospitals- such as suhkumvit's- much cheaper than the private ones, a quarter generally and no-one has ever complained- to me personally anyway. It's now a myth that Bangkok/Thailand is a snip for dental treatment-it was a few years ago but like those gorgeous,white unspoilt beaches that are increasingly hard to find- so are really good ,reasonably-priced dentists.....

© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.