We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I avoid the festival periods in october?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

Hi all

I'm planning a trip to Nepal in October and I know there'll be two festivals happening in that month. Would it be wise to book my trip to bypass the festivals so transport and accommodation would be less busy, or would it be a good chance to soak in the festive atmosphere?

Kathmandu, Nepal
8 posts
1. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

The festival season is great for city tours and also for some treks. The city is more colorful at that time and definitely more peaceful. You will also have a window into the rich culture and traditions which are highlighted during festivals. Kathmandu will be less crowded with less traffic jams. Activities like strikes and other political disturbances are also normally absent. I think it is a good time for a visit. However, do make sure that the travel/trekking agency you choose assures you continued service as many business establishments remain closed on certain days during that time.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

Hi there,

There won,t be any problems of transport & accomodationduring the festivals time in Nepal.Kathmandu would be less busy then usual day.I suggest you to see the festivals join with nepal family to get joy at part of family member. Be sure you are safe &You will have good time by the month of october.

Enjoy your holiday

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

I would recommend not to avoid the festival time! If you are interested to cultures and traditional practices then it would give you nice experience!

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

The festivals is an interesting part of Nepal. And it will give you the opertunity to have different and exiting experiences. And especially the Dashain festival is very colorful.

Actually I think it is almost a gift to be able to go to Nepal during a festival.

We were in Nepal in october 2008 and had no troubles regarding transportation or accomodation.

So my advice will be: Just go and enjoy :-)

Lisbeth, Denmark.

Tilburg
Level Contributor
21 posts
5. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

Which festivals are on in Nepal in October? I am thinking of going then and didn't realise there were festivals going on? Do you know the dates?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
28 posts
6. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

There will be two different festival which is call "Dashain" and "Deepawali". Please write here for further details of each Festival.

Here Dashain will be celebrated from 3rd of Oct to 6th of Oct which is main day of festival and Deepawali will be celebrated from 28th of Oct to 28 of Oct.

Enjoy your holiday in Nepal..

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
28 posts
7. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

I apologize, I mentioned the same date twice. I mean to write was "Deepawali" start from 26th of Oct to 28th of Oct.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

Dashain and Deepawali are 2 biggest festivals of Nepal. Both festivals are in October. I am sure that you will have chance to experience at least one of them!

Enjoy!

Tilburg
Level Contributor
21 posts
9. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

Thanks for the info. I had asked the travel agency to make an itinerary for the second week of October and the week after, but that way I'm missing both festivals. I have been in India during Diwali, so I prefer to prepone the itinerary to be in Nepal for Dashain - Do I need just one day extra in Kathmandu for the festival? And which day is the best? FInally, is it really worhtwhile to make the change, because I was already planning to book the trip with the travel agency...

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
45 posts
10. Re: Should I avoid the festival periods in october?
Save

If you are not intrested for festivales then November will be great monhts for weather as well.Check out canlender before you pop Nepal and find easy acess of transport + Hotel

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.