We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3

Nepal
Level Contributor
680 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

With news today that cases had topped 7,000 for the first time since the start of the pandemic, Nepal's regional governments have decided to add more restrictions.

Domestic flights will be halted as of tomorrow. Kathmandu remains in lockdown and Pokhara just announced what amounts to full lockdown. With positivity rates at over 40% and hospitals already full, it's obvious this is just the start of more lockdowns and restrictions to come.

If last year offers any insight into where this is headed, we should expect TIA to either close for international flights, or flights will again become increasingly limited.

If you're in Nepal and need to get out before mid-May, do it now. If you are thinking of coming to Nepal now, don't.

96 replies to this topic
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
290 reviews
274 helpful votes
1. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

So sad news...every day saddest...

I'm really sorry for Nepal and nepali people

warm hugs

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

Here’s some news on the COVID variant from India entering Nepal - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-03/nepal-india-double-mutant-coronavirus-outbreak-cases/100112568

Indian double-mutant COVID strain found in neighbouring Nepal as cases explode.

Really hoping Nepal doesn’t get as bad as India. Stay safe everyone.

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
39 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

Yes, I agree, the situation in Nepal looks really bad and will in all probability deteriorate, so for those planning to go should postpone their trips, and for those foreigners already there should try to get out before before the international flight restrictions come into force.

Silvia, will you be able to I get back to KTM in time or will you have to rely on a charter flight to get home 🤔 and, Quitau, will you also be heading home yourself??

Good Luck

Rob

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
4. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

I agree with the advice to NOT travel to Nepal during the present surge in covid cases. The situation in India is terrible and I can fully understand the lockdown and other restrictions that are being implemented in Nepal.

I write this as someone who usually encourages people to go and trek - I posted on here as recently as 20 April my support for those who were trekking at that time (Karl Edvard being one). However, with the explosive spread of the latest variant/s in India, the situation has changed, very rapidly, for the worse, in fact much worse.

I still very much hope to travel to Nepal this winter, but I have not yet booked any flights. This time last year, I was expecting to be able to visit Nepal in late 2020 - so much for that...

The Nepalis that I know, all of whom work in tourism, are struggling, but seem to agree with the latest lockdown, given how bad this wave is.

Nepal
Level Contributor
680 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

@3 Rob,

We were scheduled to fly out on June 3. Within 2 hours of hearing about the closure of the airport we had flights booked to Dubai, the only tickets we could get. Within 4 hours we were getting PCR tests and in a Jeep headed for Kathmandu. We know what this really means.

There are a lot of people in Nepal who are new to this. They read "two week closure" and think their flights after May 14 will fly. They don't realize, this is almost certainly the start of 2-3 months of banned flights. It will take a month for the charter flight scam to start operations by which time ticket prices will be sky high.

We're not out of the woods yet. I don't consider ourselves out of Nepal until the wheels touch down in Dubai.

Anyone here on Friday is going to live through one of the worst outbreaks in Asia for at least 2 months.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

The question lots of people are asking is – how is the situation going to be in the fall? Unfortunately, impossible to predict.

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
7. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

Re #6: I have set my sights for autumn 2022, if not, then 2023. Nobody should make any plans for this year.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,410 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
8. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

#7 I should not be so pessimistic. This wave in India and Nepal will pass. Actually the more severe it is the faster herd immunity will be reached. And all tourists will be vaccinated by fall. On the other hand the way Nepal is governed will not change.

But if the situation does not return to near normal in 2022, then we must fear it will never return to normal.

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
39 reviews
28 helpful votes
9. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

Thanks for your reply Quitou, I hope that your plans to leave Nepal earlier than you originally expected are problem free. I look forwards to your post with the details as I'm sure it will be helpful to others also trying to leave before the extra flight restrictions are implemented.

As for when it will be "Safe" to the travel to Nepal, that is indeed the $50.000.000 question. I haven't entirely given up hope of returning this autumn, but freely admit that it is looking less and less likely - Here in the UK we appear to be in cloud cuckoo land with this morning's news full of the resumption of international travel and of the new trade deal that has been struck between us and India... And hardly a mention of the Covid situation in India, let alone Nepal 🇳🇵🤔😡😡

So, all I am doing is watching, praying for my Nepali friends and hoping to get back as soon as possible.

Fingers crossed

Rob

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Save

@ Quitou, thank you very much for the information - even when this info makes me very sad and every day more sad. - I still have the money from my unused ticket from March '20 but I can't use this ticket - very, very bad . . .

Reply to: More Lockdowns and Restrictions May 3
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nepal
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.