We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen

Ewell, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Save

Urgent query if someone can help. Can a British citizen obtain visa on arrival at Kathmandu airport with a negative PCR test report? I will be travelling from Delhi as I'm currently in India

6 replies to this topic
Kathmandu Valley...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Save

Yes you can get visa on arrival at airport but you have to show negative PCR report. If not at airport then you can visit the office of tourism board at Ratna park from where you can get visa. Also there are lots of trekking offices at Thamel which can help you to get visa easily. Thank you!!

Nepal
Level Contributor
669 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Save

That information above is incorrect. You cannot get a visa on arrival with just a negative PCR test result. Also, transit through India is your first problem as travelers are not permitted to transit through India. Plus, you can't get a visa in Thamel in KTM if you can't get - to KTM!

You can in theory get a visa on arrival if you have a vaccination certificate for covid, but I have not heard of anyone doing so. You must either obtain a visa in a Nepal embassy or consulate before arriving, or come with a pre-approval letter from the government and arranged by a trekking agency in Nepal.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Save

Out of curiosity, if you are already in India, and the Nepali visa center in Delhi is closed due to the lockdown, couldn't it be a good excuse for a British passport holder to fly from Delhi to KTM and get the visa on arrival? I think I have read somewhere that presently the visitors from the countries where there is no Nepali consulate can get a visa on arrival (but I may be wrong).

As for the transit through India, I can see that hundreds of domestic flights are still operating in and out of Delhi, so it doesn't look like the lockdown of Delhi has much impact on that. And also people holding a valid flight ticket are allowed to go to and from the airport (one of the exemptions from the lockdown rules).

By the way, it seems like there is presently just one flight per day from Delhi to KTM operated by Air India and due to high demand the tickets cost from 30,000 INR up ($400+) one way.

Edited: April 25, 2021, 1:39 pm
Level Contributor
112 posts
4. Re: Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Save

Probably there are just emergency evacuation flights from/to India now ?

Edited: April 25, 2021, 6:07 pm
Nepal
Level Contributor
669 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Save

@3 It sounds odd, but the air bubble between India and Nepal was only for Indian nationals. We had several clients unable to transit through India to KTM because such transfers where not allowed. This is all part of the vague accommodations made by Nepal to not upset the Indian gov. But to the best of my knowledge, you would not be allowed to board your flight to KTM.

You can also bet those flights from Delhi to KTM are rife with covid carriers. The number of fake PCR tests being presented at the airport in KTM has reached a crisis level. Just the other day 172 people passed fake docs. The number of Indians in KTM getting on flights to various parts of the world who test positive grows by the day.

Level Contributor
21 posts
6. Re: Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Save

I'm fortunately not the one trying to get out of the sinking Titanic (which India is now), I'm here safe and vaccinated in Europe and watching how this horror unfolds in India and most likely soon also in Nepal.

Just tried to come up with any solution for the OP.

If I believed in conspiracy theories I would think that someone has chosen Kathmandu as a hub to spread the deadly Indian variant worldwide without getting much attention.

Based on the number of the bodies cremated daily, the death toll in India can be 10 times higher than the official numbers claim. I wonder how it is in Nepal. From what I read they just sealed off Pashupatinath, maybe one reason was not to let the tourists see how many cremations are going on there on a daily basis (just my guess)

I feel sorry for those who got stuck in the middle of this, without the chance to get back to their home countries. I think it is just nicer to die at home.

Reply to: Visa on Arrival in Nepal - British Citizen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.