We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season

1 post
Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Save

I am supposed volunteering in Pokhara July 19th and wanted to arrive about a week early to do a short trek. I recently discovered that July is monsoon season in so I have thought about pushing the trip to next summer. I'm a teacher so summer is really only my availability. If I push my trip to next summer it would have to be need to be late June(I have a friends wedding June 11th). Is there much difference in the weather between mid June and mid July or is it about the same?

Also, is it still possible to trek in July or is it a complete no go? I could miss the wedding and go early June next summer if that makes a huge difference, but I would like to avoid that if I can.

6 replies to this topic
OG Australia
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Save

It is in general a deluge. Amazing storms being subtropical. On occasions everything will clear for a short moment with crystal clear views. It will be humid. Clothes never quite dry. You will need a good umbrella. The most amazing storm I have ever seen was from Pokhara Dam side hotel in mid May just before we took off for the ABC.

The trails will be muddy. Roads with be under repair. Tracks impassable. The leaches will be numerous . They will get in every where they can. You may be one of the few people on the trail and the leeches will whisper your name as they hang off leaves waiting for you to pass.

Look up rainfall chart for Pokhara online or in a guide book.

If you want a Himalayan experience in late June / July look into Ladakh

I have walked into the Khumbu from Jiri in June but that is a different proposition than the Pokhara area. Still heavily cloud affected and moist but not subtropical.

You could stay in Bandipur and do day walks and get views if the weather clears. I have not been there but it looks lovely and is on the way to Pokhara. It could prove a pretty good alternative to a trek. Sitting on a balcony, experiencing a monsoon with cups of tea can be very relaxing 😌

Edited: April 21, 2021, 6:40 am
Nepal
Level Contributor
669 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Save

I have one word to offer - leeches.

I have spent a couple of monsoons in Pokhara. It's painfully hot and the rains come with amazing intensity for hours on end. It's really not fun weather to be outside. And then there are the leeches in the forest. You would not be able to walk for more than a few hours without learning of Nepal's lovely suckers.

OG Australia
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Save

As the monsoon was building one late May, I was somewhere out in the Annapurna region and went out late one night, away from the lodge to squat. ( a long long time ago). I was wearing a head torch,( actually might have been before travellers compact head torches so my be a hand held one) and could have sworn the ground was inching towards me.

Edited: April 21, 2021, 12:08 pm
Kathmandu Valley...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Save

June-July is a monsoon season in Nepal. There will be heavy rainfall in this season and it may lasts for an couple of hour too. The rainfall may stop for sometimes but net hour it may rain too. There will be no clear views of the mountain in this season. During the Monsoon, it rains almost every day with occasional thunderstorms in the evenings also. So if you trek in this season you have to be prepared for facing the heavy rainfall. Thank you.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
121 reviews
61 helpful votes
5. Re: Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Save

To give a more positive point of view...

We've done 15 treks in Nepal, but only 1 during Monsoon. Our August 2014 monsoon trek to Nar-Phu and Thorung La ranks among our top 3 treks! YES, very wet for first 2.5 days, and 2 leeches, but then wonderful. Never seen Nepal so green, the air so clear, and wildflowers everywhere in the alpine. And few tourists.

There are numerous treks in rain shadow areas (Manang, Nar-Phu, Jomsom-Mustang included, plus western Nepal), so trekking possible. Pokhara, on the other hand, has high rainfall. (Still, we enjoyed it too.)

None, Italy
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Save

North of the Annapurnas/Dhaulagiri you can find rain shadow country and trek dry during the monsoon. We walked in Upper Mustang in July and no rain fell. You will need a guide, an expensive permit and 10 days for that though. There are other alternatives though - Nar Phu as mentioned, I could happily spend a week in Lower Mustang; Kagbeni, Jharkot, Muktinath and Jhong are all interesting and scenic.

Reply to: Visiting Pokhara, Nepal in Monsoon season
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.