We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
164 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

I am about to board the final leg of flight from Qatar to KTM. This is what I have learned to date. I will update as the journey progresses.

This info may not apply to different airlines, different countries of origin and different methods of obtaining entry. This has been my experience with American Airlines/Qatar Airways as a U.S. citizen.

This has turned into a 60-hour journey because of this factor. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Qatar Airways requires a PCR Covid test as opposed to the “rapid Covid test” I obtained from Walgreens. Not all Covid tests are equal. There are different types, apparently. I was stunned when they would not let me board my second flight from Dallas to Qatar.

Regressing to initial checking in process before flying American Airlines, I was told only those with “government orders” could fly to Nepal. After checking with headquarters, though, “their list” had more exceptions, one being those who have already obtained a visa from the Nepali Embassy, which I had done.

That’s the second part of the equation. I don’t know what other “exceptions” are listed on the specific AA list of requirements, but that visa was crucial in my particular circumstance.

After obtaining a $150 PCR Covid test late that evening, I was permitted to fly out the next day from Dallas to Qatar. I will not address all the drama that I encountered in the process, but I will say I dealt with the most burned-out, uncaring, jaded, lifeless customer service representatives at American Airlines that evening. (Everyone else in the process was good as gold.) I got chewed out constantly for doing anything but being quiet and standing at attention. I was even denigrated for moving my head from left to right and back when I was agreeing with what she said on the phone to a supervisor. I was thinking, “That’s not a bad idea” before she interrupted her phone call to tell me how rude and disrespectful my “facial gesture” was.

I regress. My apologies.

NEXT. Before boarding on night two from Dallas to Qatar (Qatar reps told me I should report the previous agent) I was asked to show my CCMC paperwork. You must have that. They just need that number.

So those are the three big things I learned, PCR Covid test, CCMC form and, in my case, pre-stamped visa in my passport. No one has said a thing about being vaccinated.

Again, I will update as I arrive in Nepal.

8 replies to this topic
Nepal
Level Contributor
669 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

For the last year it has been clearly stated by every airline and with almost every foreign entry service that PCR tests are required and simple antigen tests will not do. Nothing new there. There have been very few exceptions to this, mostly for return flights to home countries whereby antigen tests are allowed. Just as a heads up, you will obviously need another PCR test to enter TIA when you return.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

Thanks for all the info here and is looking forward to hearing your entry experience - do you need another COVID test after landing to free from quarantine requirement? Will do a similar trip in Sept with Qatar Airways.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
164 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

Update. I am glad I took CCMC in printed form because they kept the copy I made. Also checked PCR Covid test before proceeding to immigration area.

With visa, no additional paperwork on my part was necessary. In the immigration area, no one was there,as far as a line. The area was totally empty. Surreal. Walked straight up to immigration, handed them boarding pass and passport with visa stamp and I was headed to baggage pickup. No preprinted photos were necessary.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 8:29 pm
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

@ Karl, thank you very, very much for your reporting!

MH
Dallas, Texas
1 post
5. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

Wow, thank you so much for this current info. It's been such a challenge finding what's true or not in-country. Is there really a mandatory quarantine for US travelers once you're in Nepal?

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
6. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

Karl hi, Thanks for the first hand report, I'm heading out there next week, were you asked to show any evidence of medical insurance? no one wants to insure me because of my age. 72.

Nepal
Level Contributor
669 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

Jack, I would strongly suggest watching the covid case counts before you head over. Our colleague at WHO Nepal predicts 5,000+ cases in Nepal by May 1. Active cases which were just 750 a few weeks ago are expected to hit 20,000 by May one, which was the threshold used to trigger last year's lockdowns.

I was here for all of 2020. You do not want to be here if lockdowns and restrictions are enforced. And getting stuck here is no fun.

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
8. Re: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Save

Quitou, Thanks for the info, but I've had both my Covid jabs so I'm not concerned about my own health,. I was also locked down in Cusco, Peru this time last year, literally unable even to leave the hostel with soldier's on the doors so I think by comparison I can navigate Nepal's restrictions. Thanks anyway for your comments.

Reply to: First-hand experience - entering Nepal from United Ststes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.