We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nar Phu or Tsum Valley in May

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Nar Phu or Tsum Valley in May
Save

Hi all — I'm traveling to Nepal next week and will be doing the Everest High Passes trek in late April + early May. Since I'll be in Nepal for 6 weeks, I'm hoping to organize a second, shorter trek (14 days max) for mid-May. I'd like for the 2nd trek to be more culturally and spiritually focused to complement the more scenery-focused Everest trek. I'm looking at either Nar Phu or Tsum Valley, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Does anyone have insights into which of those treks (or others) might be best given the criteria above as well as the pre-monsoon weather? Thanks for the help!

4 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
121 reviews
62 helpful votes
1. Re: Nar Phu or Tsum Valley in May
Save

Of course, you realize both treks require an agency, guide, special permit, and technically 2 trekkers.

Nar-Phu is actually a good monsoon trek. It is possible the route up from Koto may still have snow and ice in May.

Bavaria, Germany
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
2. Re: Nar Phu or Tsum Valley in May
Save

Both should be absolutely great from both a cultural aspect AND mountain views. Both require a guide and special permit stuff (the agency will sort that out). From the two I would GUESS Naar Phu would see less rain. The area behind the Annapurnas is rather dry. Behind Ganesh, which is lower and smaller... probably more moist. But I have no data on that.

If you want culturally rich options that can USUALLY be done without a guide (TIMS regulations are unclear at the moment), you can just add the walk in from Jiri to your the beginning of your Everest Trek OR you take a look at the area just north of Kathmandu where you could combine the Helambu Trek with Gosainkund. The Helambu are the hills between Kathmandu and the Himalayas. It has several interesting villages - mostly Hindus, not the high mountain folk you met in the Khumbu. Gosainkund has sacred lakes. When you arrive in Syabru Besi and still have time you can ass the Tamang Heritage Trail. Amazing villages of the Tamang tribe there. Those 3 treks can probably be done without a guide and much cheaper than the two you mentioned. Not saying they are better or anything. Just wanted to mention them as more cultural treks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,196 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
3. Re: Nar Phu or Tsum Valley in May
Save

Other more culturel treks at lower altitude include Tamang Heritage, Gurung Heritage / Siklis, Indigenous People Trail , or Mohare Danda, or even other undocumented routes. You can do these on your own and some of them don't require any permit.

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
4. Re: Nar Phu or Tsum Valley in May
Save

We were in Naar-Pho during the two last weeks of April in 2009, the only snow was when approaching Kang La pass on the north side, hard good snow to walk. Perfect weather every day. Pre-acclimatised from EBC you could hike Naar-Pho valley in 6 days, the whole Koto - Phugaon - Naargaon - Ngawal - Thorong La - Muktinath - Jomsom maybe in 9 days if necessary. If you have 14 days you could linger in Phugaon and Naar a bit longer, even when including travel days.

Edited: April 15, 2021, 11:59 pm
Reply to: Nar Phu or Tsum Valley in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.