We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking Boots

Level Contributor
112 posts
Trekking Boots
Save

What is your favourite trekking boots for Himalayas trekkings? I think it's one of most important gear. Of course is pretty individual, but probably everyone have favourite trusted model.

Salomon X Ultra 3 GTX and Lowa Renegade worked perfectly for me when trekking in Alps, but

I have zero experience in the Himalayas.

15 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
1. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

It is very personal. Some trek in sneakers while others prefer heavy mountain boots, well Nepalis used to go barefoot and even today in flip flop.

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
2. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

I have hiked a lot with Salomon trail runners like yours, now for slightly more demanding treks I have used mid-top versions of the same. Actually the Forces military version which is slightly stiffer and stronger than the civilian version, also no labels or reflectors:

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/xa-forces-mid-gtx-en-lg3237.html#color=38989

I have not used leather hiking boots since year 2000, but something lighter. Also before that I hiked AC twice and long EBC trek once with Adidas joggers.

Bavaria, Germany
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
3. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

I'm on the opposite side. I'm clumsy and want to make sure my sure my feet and especially my ankles are protected. I wear B/C category boots from Meindl. I think Lowa uses the same category system.

My boots are a fair bit higher than where my ankles are, so it's harder to crack them when I stumble. It might not actually happen very often, but it might end your trek if it's really bad. So I accept the extra weight in favor for more safety.

As pierre said: it's a personal choice.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
944 posts
4. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

Walking with Asolo Falcon LTH GV MM in Nepal now.

Super happy with these boots after ca. 80 days use in the mountain/forest.

Comfortable with a soft top, sturdy Vibram sole, excellent on wet rocks and when laced not too tight — feels like a Nike running shoe.

It's my fourth pair from Asolo.

https://www.asolo.com/en/products/hiking/a-fast/falcon-lth-gv-mm-grey-shark.html

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57n53hbmxklvm0r/2021-04-15%2013.14.40-1.jpg?raw=1

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
5. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

There are two schools on this, heavy boots protect ankles/light runners are more nimble. I lean towards the later camp, but anything except plastic boots or flip-flops are fine.

Oodnadatta...
Level Contributor
821 posts
6. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

easy to buy a pair of sandals in Kathmandu before heading off on a trek

sometimes I take a pair of light joggers in case there is snow on a high pass

I wouldn't like to go bare foot as there are often mule deposits

individual choice based on how much outdoor exercise your feet and ankles are used to

7. Re: Trekking Boots

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: May 10, 2021, 6:00 pm

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
8. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

#6 easy to buy sandals ... It depends, it is not easy to find any kind of large size shoe in Nepal.

Edited: April 15, 2021, 9:42 pm
Level Contributor
112 posts
9. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

Sandals definitely not work for me, but a reliable mid sized trekking boots will be just ok!

Military version of Salomon Quest 4 is really good choice but sadly it's too narrow for my feet and that model is in regular size only. Not available in wide version.

Edited: April 15, 2021, 11:25 pm
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
322 posts
10. Re: Trekking Boots
Save

I am wondering if there is any specific feature that would make shoes more suitable for hikes in the Himalayas (?). Vasque Breeze 2.0 Mid GTX have worked for me in different locations/conditions, comfortable for my not so demanding feet but on the heavy side, not expensive. Will look for something lighter next time.

Reply to: Trekking Boots
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.