We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days trek for Makalu

Sam
3 posts
5 days trek for Makalu
Save

Hi. I'm from Nepal.

I want to trek for viewing Makalu. I'm doubt if it's viable to travel to Makalu Base Camp from Num and back in 5 days. If not, what would be the best viewing points for Makalu, Barun, other mountains and lakes that is within 2 and a half days walking distance from the last motorable road. Wants to be as close to the mountains and snow as possible.

6 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
1. Re: 5 days trek for Makalu
Save

Impossible in 5 days from Num. It is a very tough hike.

You can see Makalu from Pikey Peak, for instance. Another possibility is Milke Danda (that's a camping trek, but an excellent choice with great views, Everest and Kanchenjunga also, and the top spot for rhodedendrons).

Milke Danda and Pikey Peak are possible in 5 days of trekking.

Edited: March 31, 2021, 9:53 pm
Sam
3 posts
2. Re: 5 days trek for Makalu
Save

Thanks Pierre W, Milke Danda seem a better option.

But maps and detail routes are hard to find. I'd be doing my research but please do share if anybody have detailed information about doing Milke Dada including Savapokhari with shortest itinerary possible.

I know there's a jeep to Manebhanjyag from Khadbari but couldn't even find Cinchilla on map. :(

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: 5 days trek for Makalu
Save

for people on EBC route, would Gokyo Ri offer the best chance or Chukung Ri? Any other place on this route where we get close without climbing above 5000 mtrs?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
4. Re: 5 days trek for Makalu
Save

I did a traverse of Milke Danda starting from Basantapur then descending the ridge to Chainpur. The map was indeed unreliable and the descent to Chainpur was adventurous.

Bavaria, Germany
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
5. Re: 5 days trek for Makalu
Save

@3: Chhukung Ri has the better view towards Makalu. Kongma La offers a similar view. Gokyo Ri is like 20 km or so further away. You still see Makalu from there though.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
6. Re: 5 days trek for Makalu
Save

I have had a quick skim through my photos (from 2005, 2010, 2010/11, 2015/16 and 2019/20). By far the best overall view of Makalu that I have is from the top of Renjo La - you can see much more of the mountain, and you can see Everest to the left (north - a bit closer) - they are like two vast, pyramid shaped siblings.

You can see M from the top of Chhukung Ri (higher or lower sides), but only really the last third or probably quarter - though quite a bit closer (than Renjo La), the loss of so much of the mountain and the loss of perspective, for me much reduces the view of M .

The view of M from the top of Khongma La is similar to that from the top of Chhukung Ri.

From the top of Gokyo Ri, here also you only see the top part of M.

Reply to: 5 days trek for Makalu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.