We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Car Rental from Dehli to Nepal

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Self Drive Car Rental from Dehli to Nepal
Save

Hey

Dreaming of trips for the future and wondering has anyone experience of renting a car for roadtrip from Dehli to Nepal? It’s a long shot, as most car rentals around the world don’t like you driving into another country.

I understand there will be paperwork etc for driving both in India and Nepal so don’t need info on that, but essentially ..... is it possible and has anyone done it?

4 replies to this topic
Nepal
Level Contributor
667 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Self Drive Car Rental from Dehli to Nepal
Save

Seems highly unlikely and I spend a ton of time driving in Nepal in leased vehicles as well as vehicles I own.

Level Contributor
113 posts
2. Re: Self Drive Car Rental from Dehli to Nepal
Save

It's much cheaper and easier for Indians to rent a vehicle in India and travel to and around Nepal. Indians and Indian vehicles need no extra papers and there's a small fee.

Not sure if Indian rentals would provide the same for foreigners. Paperworks could be a trouble. Would be lot easier if you are ready to take a driver as well.

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
3. Re: Self Drive Car Rental from Dehli to Nepal
Save

Thanks. Half the pleasure for me is driving in foreign countries. I’ve done it many times. I might have to drive my car all the way from Ireland to do the trip 😂

Edited: March 28, 2021, 5:55 pm
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Self Drive Car Rental from Dehli to Nepal
Save

Even I wanted to drive from Bangalore, south of India to Nepal to cover the Annapurna and everest regions. Roads on the plains are kind of ok. and the road between Pokara to KTM is kind of ok. However my journey from KTM to Salleri wasnt that good and same goes for Besisahar to Manang route and also Pokara to Nayapul route. I have a two wheel drive which is risky in these parts.

Reply to: Self Drive Car Rental from Dehli to Nepal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.