We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
268 posts
A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

Kenton Cool, a world-famous mountaineer, says he got to witness Nepal differently this season @ https://english.onlinekhabar.com/kenton-cool-world-famous-mountaineer-says-he-got-to-witness-nepal-differently-this-season.html

19 replies to this topic
Oodnadatta...
Level Contributor
823 posts
1. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

Thanks for posting the link.

I don't know anything about mountaineering so he is not famous to me as I have never heard of him.

However I always enjoy Nepal on the quiet side as I travel when the plants are growing and the flowers are out and there are very few tourists. It is common to have a hotel or teahouse for myself and guide and porter.

Another easy way to find somewhere quiet is to go to a village 5 minutes off the super highway trekking routes as everyone else is in a race to get it over and done with rather than enjoy the whole experience.

Nepal and all it has to offer is best enjoyed slowly and quietly.

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
2. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

Famousness is relative, I had never heard of the guy until now. Taking customers 14 times up and down Everest on standard route a famous mountaineer does not make anymore.

Would have been different 30 years ago.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
268 posts
3. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

Please take a look more about Kenton Cool, a world-famous mountaineer @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenton_Cool

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

@ gymbell in # 1 : " I don't know anything about mountaineering so he is not famous to me as I have never heard of him. " The same to me - you're right!

@ arkienkeli in # 2: Yes, you're also right - 30 years ago it woukd be a different story - nothing special.

Bavaria, Germany
Level Contributor
339 posts
1 review
5. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

"In May 2013 Cool along with climbing partner Dorje Gylgen attained the Everest Triple Crown. In the space of just seven days and without returning to Base Camp, he climbed the three mountains that make up the Everest Horseshoe – Nuptse (7,864 metres), Everest (8,850 metres) and Lhotse (8,516 metres). This was a feat many thought to be impossible, due to the amount of time spent at high altitude and the effect this has on the human body."

Special enough for my taste.

OG Australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

There is a great line in the film Seven Years in Tibet. The rather beautiful Tibetan ( Lhakpa Tsamchoe) love interest of Henrich Harrer’s climbing partner Peter Aufschaiter suggests to HH;

“In Tibet we prefer to conquer our egos rather than mountains”

In Melbourne Australia there are two suburbs side by side. One on a hill the other below. Working class gritty Richmond below and glossy glitzy very wealthy Torarak above. The joke has always been that those in Richmond get to look up upon Toorak but Toorak only gets a view of Richmond.

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
7. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

Now that HH has been mentioned, I get a chance to mention that my mother (passed) needed some help to pack a rug she had bought in Leh in late seventies. There just happened to be an elderly western gentleman at the bazar who offered to help her by taking her to a tailor, who sewed the rug tightly inside a canvas cover.

Later she realised who the helpful gentleman actually was.

I am not a very good Tibetan.

Edited: December 05, 2020, 6:29 am
OG Australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

My father in law, an old style newspaper man, interviewed HH many years ago when he visited Australia. He got a signed copy of Seven Years in Tibet. After Juliana and I returned from our third trip to Nepal which included three weeks in Tibet, he mentioned this and that he given the copy away........funny guy was my father in law 😉🤷🏻‍♂️

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
268 posts
9. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

Try more, Kenton Cool. They do not know you yet.

OG Australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Save

#9 That’s funny 😄

Reply to: A famous mountaineer got to wintess Nepal differently.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nepal
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.