We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo

5 posts
Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

Hello All

I am planning a trip to Everest Base Camp on September 2020. The trip will start at Jiri, trek to EBC and visit Gokyo on the descend. I have listed my itinerary beneath would like to hear your views plus any suggestions.

Day 1 - Kathmandu - Jiri

Day 2 - Jiri - Shivilaya

Day 3 - Shivilaya - Bhande

Day 4 - Shivilaya - September

Day 5 - Sete - Junbesi

Day 6 - Junbesi - Nunthala

Day 7 - Nunthala - Bupsa

Day 8 - Bupsa - Sure

Day 9 - Surke - Phakding

Day 10 - Phakding - Namche Bazaar

Day 11 - Acclimatisation Day

Day 12 - Namche - Tengboche

Day 13 - Tengboche - Dingboche

Day 14 - Acclimatisation Day

Day 15 - Dingboche - Lobuche

Day 16 - Lobuche - Gorak Shep

Day 17 - Gorak Shep - Lobuche

Day 18 - Lobuche - Dzonghla

Day 19 - Dzonghla - Dragnag

Day 20 - Dragnag - Gokyo

Day 21 - Gokyo - Namche

Day 22 - Namche - Lukla

Day 23 - Lukla - Kathmandu

Thanks in advance!

21 replies to this topic
Nepal
Level Contributor
669 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

I am sorry to be the one to inform you, but this type of travel in Nepal will not be possible in September, or in 2020 at all. There is no indication the border will be open until September, and even then there are discussions of not allowing tourist visas.

It is also not likely there will be permits available for any trekking in Nepal this year.

Lastly, with cases of the covid virus likely to climb to 40,000 by August, it is not advised to come to Nepal as there are no medical services available to travelers should you fall ill.

Even if you can get in, and somehow get permission to trek, do not expect locals to be happy to see you.

I would plan your trip for no sooner than April.

1 post
2. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

Other than what Quitou mentioned: You posted a standard itinerary. The way down from Gokyo to Namche is very long. Many others plan two for that. If you plan two you can also cross Renjo La and go back via Thame.

Also, if you plan something like this. also make sure you have several "buffer days" between your planned arrival back in Kathmandu and your exit flight, as flights from Lukla to Kathmandu are often cancelled - sometimes for multiple days.

There are alternative itineraries for this trek too. Just search the forums here...

Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
81 reviews
60 helpful votes
3. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

Are you a local?

5 posts
4. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

Quitou - Thank you for this info. Greatly appreciated. Will take it on board.

5 posts
5. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

Toni M - Thank you for the prompt reply. I have allowed extra buffer days for the reasons you have mentioned. Il make sure to look through the forums for alternative routes available ideally allowing myself up to 26 days to complete the trek. I hope this will be enough

5 posts
6. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

ktm_scott - Good afternoon, I'm not a local will be travelling from the UK

Nepal
Level Contributor
669 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

As of today, it appears some of the timelines proposed a few weeks ago for getting things opened and moving have been pushed back yet again. The current lockdown level was supposed to be relaxed soon, but today was extended until next month. The airport, which was slated to open July 5th, may not open until late August.

I would not expect the dept of Home Affairs and department of Immigration to sort out arrival visas for the autumn months, as it has taken 90 days to sort out what to do with the thousands of visa holders stuck here now, all of them on expired visas. The latest word is the dept of Home Affairs is keen to have all tourists vacated from the country by August 15th.

With that in mind, and with all hotels closed, and inter-department travel all but banned, I can't imagine anything opening in the next 90 days.

Even the most optimistic leaders and business owners in the tourism industry have concluded 2020 is a loss.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
8. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

OP: I walked in from Jiri in Dec 2010, and from Phaplu in Dec 2015. I really like the walk in through the middle hills - they are far less developed and commercial than the main trails after Lukla, especially the trail up the Khumbu valley, which is the most popular trail and which leads to EBC. I had hoped to walk in from one or other in Dec 2019, but time was too tight, so we flew into (and out from) Lukla.

Do consider walking up to the Tibetan monastery north of Junbesi - J is a lovely village (we stayed there both times), and the monastery is well worth visiting. It is not that far.

Please be aware that going via Cho La is much, much tougher than the walk to EBC or Gokyo. Have a look at footage of this pass on YouTube etc, and read up on it - I have crossed it 4 times, and really like it (including the challenge). Do also be aware of the greater risks, especially if the weather turns bad.

Renjo La (ref post 2) is the least difficult of the Everest region high passes, and has some great views. I like the Thame/Bhote valley west of Renjo - it also is much less commercial than the other E region valleys, because it gets far fewer tourists. I really like Thame.

Unless you have good experience (and even then, I would be wary) I would suggest linking up with other trekkers for crossing any high passes. Many more people are doing them nowadays (some of whom seem ill suited...) so it should be much easier to link up with others, especially in season. In very late Dec 2019, there were about 10 other trekkers, plus staff, crossing Cho La - on my 2 previous Dec/Jan crossings (both in 2010) my guide and I were the only people on the pass, in fact the whole trail (we started from Lobuche those 2 times).

Itineraries: I have never had a precise itinerary, as there are too many variables (bad weather, illness, fatigue, acclimatisation and I usually change my mind about what I want to do). I just have an overall amount of time, a rough plan and then I see how things go.

Re CV: I want to visit Nepal this winter, but with all the uncertainty, I have not booked anything - I am watching and waiting.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
990 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

Your words: " I want to visit Nepal this winter, but with all the uncertainty, I have not booked anything - I am watching and waiting. " are o.k. I'm doing the same, but I still have my valid flight ticket from March this year !!!

I really want to know if I can fly this year to Nepal . . . ?

OG Australia
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Save

It is good to see a walk starting from Jiri. Sure, the action is Namche and above, but the walk in is full of lovely moments. After a morning visit to the Gompa near Junbesi, we only made it to the Cheese Factory a few hours above and through the Forrest.

The golden sunset light on the first real view of Everest and then the clear morning view. These moments were separated by good simple food and a deep sleep on the cushioned sitting benches (tables pushed into the middle) of the large single room set up.

Reply to: Everest Base Camp Itinerary - Jiri - EBC - Gokyo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.