We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp

12 posts
Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp
Save

I'm planning to do the 'standard' EBC trek in December, and have planned to skip EBC itself in favor of Kala Patthar (for best photos of Everest). In researching photo locations, I've noticed that the view from Pumori Base Camp actually seems to provide a much better view of Everest (including Lhotse), the Khumbu icefall, etc. Is it practical to replace KP with PBC in an itinerary? My plan was to do Kala Patthar as a day hike from Lobuche (allows climbing of KP with only a day pack and avoids an overnight in Gorak Shep). Is Lobuche - PBC practical as a day hike?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
1. Re: Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp
Save

Can’t comment on PBC but KP vs EBC has better and higher views of Everest and surrounding 360 degree mountain views and is better IMO unless you want to achieve reaching EBC as point of interest. There is a risk in putting all your eggs in one basket and not seeing any or good views if it is clouded over, in which case GS may be a better option to try again.

12 posts
2. Re: Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp
Save

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't really thought of the fact that PBC wouldn't have the 360 deg view, also a good point about the Lobuche - Kala Patthar day trip plan (no room for error). Everything I've read about sleeping in Gorak Shep makes me want to avoid if at all possible. Are the Gorak Shep lodges significantly worse than Lobuche, or is it mostly the altitude?

Tours, France
Level Contributor
212 posts
3. Re: Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp
Save

Both Lobuche and Gorakshep have huge, ugly and commercial lodges. Prices will be higher at Gorakshep, and colder. Lobuche is definitely a better place to sleep

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp
Save

Afernoon and evening time is the best time to see (and especially photograph) Everest from Kala Patthar (and I assume from Pumori BC) so unless you want to hike all the way back to Lobuche at night I'd consider sleeping at Gorakshep.

Haven't been in either places for around 5 years but I always much preferred Gorakshep and used to find that Lobuche was a real sh..hole. Things might have changed of course

12 posts
5. Re: Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp
Save

Yeah, my plan is to stay at Kala Patthar until near sunset for best lighting, but then that means walking back to Lobuche at dusk. If I knew that Lobuche is still the sh..hole that it used to be, then I'd just plan on toughing out a night at Gorakshep. But then a lot of what I've read says that Lobuche is way better than it was only a few years ago. Since I haven't been before, I'm kinda stuck looking for opinions on Gorakshep vs Lobuche. Thanks for the reply.

6. Re: Kala Patthar vs Pumori Base Camp

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: November 01, 2020, 11:41 am
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.