We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?

Wellington, Greater...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?
Save

Hi there,

I will be in Pokhara some time between March and May, and will have probably 7-9 days for hiking. I have done hikes in the Everest region before, and enjoy high altutides. I am relatively fit.

What are some of the best 7-9 day hikes (ideally from Pokhara but can be from anywhere) which involve amazing mountain views and higher altitudes?

I've heard Mardi Himal is quite good.

1. Re: Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: October 24, 2019, 5:35 pm
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?
Save

Hi

7 - 9 days Pokhara to Pokhara suggests ABC or Mardi Himal both have great views and are high-ish altitude.

ABC can be trekked in fewer days because of the jeep tracks reaching Ghandruk and Landruk (and beyond) but the tracks and therefore vehicle dust, can be avoided at least in parts. ABC is culturally interest and has good scenery at the start, lacks a little above Chomrong until approaching MBC because the trail passes through forests (mainly bamboo). The views are great after that and a clear sunrise at ABC is wonderful. I recommended staying overnight at ABC rather than doing a pre-dawn hit-and-run from MBC because it gives a longer opportunity for unobstructed views. Sleeping at ABC means an afternoon and sunset followed by a sunrise and a pre-dawn hike from ABC means another sunrise. The highest altitude is at ABC, some 4200m, but there are some opportunities to hike higher but no obvious, named viewpoints, as far as I know.

Mardi Himal's highest point is about 4500m at base camp view point and the highest sleeping place is High Camp at c3550m 9though some sources give higher figures - up to 3900m). The initial section, assuming a Landruk start, is in forest. It does not thin out until approaching Middle Camp but the trail is above the trees after that. The views are also very good though it was cloudy when I trekked the route. MH base camp has a more expansive panoramic view, the scene at ABC is more closed in with a more close up feeling and a sense of being surrounded by high mountains. On that point alone, I prefer ABC. MH can also include the MH valley, exiting via Sidhing or Kalimati. This avoids retracing steps via Landruk but it's also much less trekked and affected by trekking. Both of the named villages are interesting and give a better sense of hill life than villages that have, in some case, been turned into little more than lodge clusters (note there are now real villages after between Landruk and MH High camp - lodge clusters only).

ABC is a very busy trek during the season (and busier than most out of season, it seems). There are fewer trekkers on the MH route but there are also fewer lodges. Until recently, it could be described a s quiet trek (I trekked it one February - very quiet) but it is getting more popular. This is because of the overall increase in trekker numbers and people avoiding ABC because it so busy. A trekker told me the lodges were full in high season.

There are other possibilities from Pokhara (well, KTM is more inconvenient) up the east side of the Annapurna Circuit, perhaps to Tilicho Lake or Kang La, I can't help with the details though.

I would go as early as possible in your time frame because it's less busy in March, particularly early March, and the chances of clear weather are better than later in the spring. By mid to late may trekker number should reduce quite a lot from the April peak but the weather tends not to be as good; increasing cloud and humidity.

scoodly

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
3. Re: Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?
Save

There is also Mohare Danda plus Khopra, a much quieter trek near Pokhara.

In other areas: the Langtang valley.

Wellington, Greater...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?
Save

This is a fantastic reply. Gives me a lot to think about! Thank you!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?
Save

You're welcome. Langtang is certainly worth considering; great mountain views, a number of view points to reach - including Tserko Ri at almost 5000m - and a hike up the valley beyond Kyanjin Gompa is well worth it.

scoodly

6. Re: Short treks (ideally from Pokhara) // mardi himal?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 26, 2020, 12:41 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.