We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Hi Guys,

I am planning to hike Langtang Trail next month. Here is my detailed itinerary: Your suggestions are most welcome.

Day 0 [Nov 15 Thursday]: Arrive at Kathmandu Airport from Bangalore, India.

Day 1 [Nov 16 Friday]: Get NPR from SBI ATM, FIT TIMS (Free Independent Trekker - Trekkers Information Management System) ID + Langtang National Park Entry from Nepal Tourism Board Office, Brikutimandap, Activate Nepal SIM, buy tickets for next day morning bus to Syabru Besi from Maccha Pokhari bus stand counter

Day 2 [Nov 17 Saturday]: Morning bus to Dunche-Syabru Besi (8-9 hrs) from Maccha Pokhari bus stand and stay for the night at Syabru Besi (1400m/4593ft)

Day 3 [Nov 18 Sunday]: Start hike (via Khamjing-Sherpagaon upper route): Syabru Besi-Khamjing-Sherpagaon-Rimche-Lama hotel (2748m/9015ft) (7hrs) and stay for the night in one of the tea house.

Day 4 [Nov 19 Monday]: Lama hotel-Riverside-Woodland-Ghoda tabela-Thyangsyap-Langtang Village (3500m/11482ft)-Mundu-Kyanjin Gompa (3800m/12467ft) (8 hrs) and stay for the night in tea house

Day 5 [Nov 20 Tuesday]: Acclimatization Day at Kyanjin Gompa (3800m/12467ft): day hike to Lirung Lake (1-2 hrs roundtrip)

Day 6 [Nov 21 Wednesday]: Peak climb: Kyanjin Ri I (4328m/14199ft) and Kyanjin Ri II (4779m/15679ft) (8hrs roundtrip)

Day 7 [Nov 22 Thursday]: Peak Climb: Tsergo Ri (4984/16351ft) (6-8 hrs) / Numthang viewpoint (4-6hrs) / Langshisha viewpoint (6-8 hrs)

Day 8 [Nov 23 Friday]: Hike back Kyanjin Gompa – Lama Hotel. Note: If buffer days aren’t already utilized, take detour to Gosainkunda Glacial Lake (4380m/14370ft) after reaching Lama Hotel

Day 9 [Nov 24 Saturday]:

[Saturday] Lama Hotel – Rimche – Bamboo – Thulo Syabru – Sing Gompa – Gosainkunda Glacial Lake (4380m/14370ft)

[Sunday] Stay at Gosainkunda

[Monday] Return: Gosainkunda – Sing Gompa – Deurali – Dunche (2030m/6660ft) (Bus/jeep to Kathmandu)

Day 10 [Nov 25 Sunday]: Lama Hotel – Rimche – Bamboo - Syabru Besi (shorter: valley route)

Day 11 [Nov 26 Monday]: Buffer Day.

Day 12 [Nov 27 Tuesday]: Bus/jeep to Kathmandu and stay for the night in hostel.

Day 13 [Nov 28 Wednesday]: Backpack around Kathmandu

Day 14 [Nov 29 Thursday]: Whole day for Bungy round trip (3 hour single side drive from Kathmandu)

Day 15 [Nov 30 Friday]: Backpack around Kathmandu and stay for the night in hostel.

Kathmandu Valley Backpacking:

Durbar square, Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Musuem, Kasthamandap, Swayombhunath Monkey Temple & Stupa, Pashupatinath Temple, The Garden of Dreams, Kopan Monastery

Patan: Lalitpur, Durbar square & museum

Bhaktapur (Bus from Ratna Park): Durbar square,

Nagarkot:

Day 16 [Dec 01 Saturday]: Board Nepal Airlines from Tribhuvan Airport, Kathmandu to BLR. Reach BLR by 16:50

I am reasonably fit and have done few hikes in Indian Himalaya (Sandakphu:West Bengal, Chandrakhani Pass: Himachal, Roopkund: Uttarakhand) and trekking quite regularly for last 5 years in Western ghats mountain ranges - southern part of the country. Given the availability of food and place to crash for the night - I would like to hike Langtang independently - without employing a guide or porter.

Here are few questions I have:

1) How are the current road conditions to Syabru Besi - how easy it is to get bus tickets and current fare

2) I am aiming to do the whole trip in a shoe string budget. Do you have any tips to save some money for transport, stay, food. How much Nepal rupees you would recommend to keep in hand for the whole trek (12 days).

3) Keeping above point in mind, how much does it cost for basic stay in a tea house and price of a meal?

4) How are the beds in tea houses on Langtang trail - do I need to bring a sleeping bag to keep myself warm.

5) How is mobile connectivity (Ncell) on the trail. Do you recommend any other provider.

Thanks in advance.

- Mahesh

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Hi maheshmohanmu

Some thoughts on the itinerary:

Day 4 breaches the safe acclimatisation guidelines which state that the increase in sleeping altitude should be in the range of 300m to 500m once above 3000m and there should also be an second night at the same or very similar altitude once above 3000m. Going to 3800m poses AMS risks. These risks are difficult to quantify given personal variables. However, a recent report suggest that a woman died on such an ascent in the Annapurna area - details were limited and there was no confirmation of the cause of death from a post mortem - a warning to all, I think. At least one extra night is needed.

Day 9 is very, very long. Another day is needed, in my view. Gosainkunda To Dhunche is long but possible, however, you will not be able to get a bus or shared jeep to KTM by the time you arrive, you would need to arrange a private jeep which would get back to KTM very late at night - and I note your budget constraints.

Some thoughts about KTM and the valley:

Note that Kasthamandap does not exist, it's yet to be rebuilt following the earthquake.

Nagarkot is popular for overnight stays to see the mountains but they are distant. After the views on the Langtang trek I would not bother.

Even without Nagarkot, two days to see what you list will be rushed (this is a personal travel-style thing and you may be happy with it.

scoodly

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
2. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Hi scoodly,

Thanks for your insights. I already had this in mind that day 4 would a rush - prime reason I allocated two buffer days, so that I can customize the itinerary once on the trail.

Can you help me split up Day 4 and Day 9 following best acclimatization practices (and availability of lodges). Given that I have enough days in hand to get back to Kathmandu - I wouldn't mind breaking the trail into an extra day.

Gosainkunda to Dunche: I would try to do on a single day - crash for the night and get a bus to Kathmandu next day early morning.

Special thanks for your updates on KTM valley.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
3. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Day 9 is physically not possible for most people it will take two days, first day to SG and second day the Gosainkund Lake. You should already be acclimatised to go from Sg to G.

Day 10 does not make any sense, is that a typing error.

Beds in lodges are fine, and you will be ok without sleeping bag as the lodges have blankets.

For prices just bargain and watch your spending. A 5000mah power bank helps save on charging devices. Plan for a low budget of around $20 a day, meals are R400-700 each, lodge about R500. Wifi is ok in most lodges.

60 seat delux 4-6 buses from 630-900am, one every 30 minutes and road is bumpy but ok 8 hours.

Edited: 2 years ago
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

As above, some of your days are far too long, and I have done some long days in Nepal. I think that even extremely fit Nepalis would seriously struggle to do D9 especially.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Hi again Mahesh

Day 4 - most itineraries have another night in New Langtang. This would leave an easy day - about 3 hours - to Kyanjin Gompa. Once booked into a lodge you could go to the lake but Kyanjin Ri is possible (lots of people seem to follow this itinerary).

Day 9 - a night at Thulo Syabru followed by a night Sing Gompa is a typical itinerary, I think but one night between Lama Hotel and Gosainkund is doable. It's hard to say which is the best place: SG is a possibility but you could continue until Chalangpati or Lurebinya Yak (good views). Having slept at KG for 2, maybe 3 nights, I thinkyou should be Ok at Gosainkund but AMS symptoms still need to be montored and react accordingly.

To your other questions:

1) The road is bumpy, hard to describe how bumpy, I guess it depends on what you are used to. I last took the bus in 2016 - others will have more up to date experiences - and the journey as a whole was fine. Longer than I would choose of course but it took about 8 hours iirc (it has taken 13 and not reached Syabrubesi for me once but don't panic that was during the monsoon!).

I paid 660 NPR, it will be more now, others will be more precise. I buy tickets the day before to avoid the possibility fo the buses being sold out. Tickest are available where the buses leave from at Maccha Pokhari, north of Thamel.

2) and 3) I found Langtang to be suprisingly expensive for food given its proximity to the roadhead (additional porter costs are part of the increased prices). With my food choices - mainly local style and veg - and no marginal water costst (I have a steripen) I think I would pay between 2000 and 2500 NPR per day based on what I paid two years ago and how much I paid on Mardi Himal this year. Your mileage may vary.

4) Most if not all lodges provide blankets. November is busy so it is possible that there are not enough blankets to go around. I would take a sleeping bag to ensure you are warm enough particulalry at the higher places. Sleeping bags can be hired for about $1 per day.

5) I don't know but if connectivity is important you could get SIMs for both of the main networks but one might be clearly better than the other - I'm sure others with knowledge will comment.

scoodly

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
6. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

scoodly,

I would modify my itinerary as below:

Day 4 [Nov 19 Monday]: Lama hotel-Riverside-Woodland-Ghoda tabela-Thyangsyap-Langtang Village (3500m/11482ft)

Day 5 [Nov 20 Tuesday]: Langtang Village (3500m/11482ft)-Mundu-Kyanjin Gompa (3800m/12467ft), day hike to Lirung Lake (1-2 hrs roundtrip)

And do you think Day 8 is a problem - KG to Lama Hotel in a day (I guess not, since it is a descend?)

For Day 9: Do you have distance between these places and respective altitude handy.

Probabaly I would follow below:

Lama Hotel – Rimche – Bamboo – Thulo Syabru

Thulo Syabru – Sing Gompa – Gosainkunda

Thanks for rest of the responses.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
7. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Hi Ali0211,

Day 10: If I have used my buffer days already after reaching KG for whatsoever reason, I would not attempt Gosainkunda - instead just get back to Syabru Besi.

Lama Hotel – Rimche – Bamboo - Syabru Besi (shorter: valley route): No, this isnt a typing mistake.

Apolgoies for the confusion.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
8. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Hi rdccomments,

I understand. Better be safe than sorry :-) Looking to split up Day 9.

Thanks for your opinion.

- Mahesh

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
9. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Hi Mahesh

Days 4 & 5 - are better, in my view, safer from an acclimatisation perspective.

Day 8 - KG to LH is, as you say, a descent and should not present any issues.

Day 9 - I do know the distances but the map below has altitudes. Other sources will different altitudes but the map is generally in line with others, iirc. Walking times are a better indication than distances, I don't have my notes but trekking agency websites might have them (some are more reliable than others). Maybe somebody else will answer.

scoodly

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,196 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
10. Re: Langtang Valley Trek November 2018 Questions
Save

Lama hotel to Thulo Syabru is only a good half day, but Lana Hotel to Sing Gompa is very tough. Anyway you don't need to decide your exact day by day itinerary in advance !

Many hikers do Syabrubesi to Kianjin Gompa in 2 and a half day. I did it twice.

Edited: 2 years ago
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.