We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?

Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

The weather seems more on the colder side this year when we compared it to the previous years. How safe is it attempt this trek this year? Should I be prepared with more snow gear? We are planning to take up this trek in late October and early November and recently heard the news of snow storm that hit Mount Gurja and the altitude was below 4000m that alarmed us.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

Hi

Yes, the tragedy was alarming. However, it seems the cause was a snow storm and an ensuing avalanche. This was a localised issue and there no big avalanche risks on the AC. Snowstorms are possible of course and you should be prepared with the correct gear and waiting out snowstorms and descending if necessary. Some extra time in the itinerary is always a goof idea.

It's hard to say if you should take more snow gear without knowing what you will take, more info would help people to answer. Ther eis a gear list to the top right of the Nepal forum (visible using the ful website).

Monsoon related conditions do often linger into to October but as the month passes the post-monsoon dry season weather is more likely and November is even better, typically. Snow cannot be ruled out though.

I see no reason not to continue with your plans with the right gear and caution.

scoodly

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
2. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

There is always weather risk in the great outdoors, and especially the Himalayas.

The winter is the dry time in Nepal, but that does not mean no risk of bad weather.

Oct has seen bad weather on AC about ever other year. I had snow more than 1 metre deep in just over 24 hours in mid Oct 2005 - we waited it out for 5 days/nights at Manang.

Oct 2014 there was a very rare (for trekkers) white out near Thorung La pass - more than 40 trekkers and staff were killed.

Other years are fine: the main guide I trek with did AC last Oct and had perfect weather.

I have done 2 Nov treks in Nepal, and had excellent weather, with pure blue skies both times: Gokyo - Cho La and EBC in 2005, Langtang - Gosainkunda - Helambu in 2012.

I have done 8 treks in Dec - Jan and generally had good weather, just 2-3 days of snow most treks. In 2014 there was a lot of deep snow, so that trek was very limited. Last winter we had nigh on perfect weather. I am hoping to do Manaslu this Dec - Jan, I just hope the weather gods are kind.

Do bear in mind that weather can change quickly in the high Himalayas, can be, but is not always, quite localised.

My very strong advice is to keep an eye on any cloud build up, and if in doubt, ask the more mature, experienced lodge owners and guides. Treat advice from the inexperienced with a lot of caution.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
3. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

I should add that I would not rely on electronic devices, except for warnings of bad weather moving in from some distance away.

Use your eyes and common sense, and advice from mature locals and guides.

4. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

Thanks on the advice. Your reply does give a boost to our confidence.

For winter gear we have the normal 4 layers of clothing. For the fourth layer few of us are planning to have rain covers that would act as water and wind protectrs, though they are thin. I hope it would not cause any issues.

Had not considered snow pants before but considering the weather we are planning to get one each. Other than that we have woolen socks and cap and fleece neck warmers.

Is there anything you would like to add?

Edited: 2 years ago
5. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

We would be landing in KTM on 25th evening and we have planned to start our Trek by 27th or after. So we would reach Manang only by the end of first week of November. I just hope the weather stays clear as you said.

We plan on finishing the AC, then go for ABC and if time permits we are planning for the Mardi Himal Trek as well. We have 25-26 days of Trek in our itinerary excluding the travel form KTM to Besisahar and Pokhra to KTM.

And yes as per your advice we will keep an eye out for the clouds and will check with the locals at the tea house.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

Hi

4 layers while trekking sounds OK to cove most conditions: a base layer, mid-weight fleece, fleece jacket or similar (soft shell) and a waterproof/windproof top layer. Another layer ot( insulation e.g.. a down jacket) for resting at Thorung La. This will be useful in the early mornings and evenings in the lodges higher up.

Snowpants, as in insulated, waterproof, heavy ones? I prefer a layering system too which could be lightweight trekking pants lower down, water resistant/wind resistant soft shell type ones, base layer pants and waterproof overtrousers should suffice in various combinations for the conditions you meet. Some people would not bother with waterproof overtrousers but these can be very breathable and lightweight/ low volume so make little difference to pack weight (not an issue with a porter, anyway).

scoodly

7. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

Yes the insulated heavy ones is the one I meant. So you say a base thermal, light weight trekking pants and a rain/wind shield light weight layer should suffice even at -5 to -10 degree Celsius? Also we are not planning to hire a porter.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?
Save

I would add a mid-weight soft shell type pant to cover most of the bases and this is what I would take.

At lower altitudes it can be quite warm and lightweight trousers work the best for me, as it gets higher and a little cooler the mid-weight soft shell ones work better (good ones are breathable and comfortable across a range of temperatures), at the highest parts I might add the overtrousers for increased windproofing. It would need to be very cold for me to put base layers on to trek in (these are mainly for sleeping in).

scoodly

9. Re: Annapurna circuit trek weather condition in Oct-Nov'18?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 16, 2019, 1:41 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.