We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kathmandu...where to stay?

Level Contributor
40 posts
Kathmandu...where to stay?
Save

Recommendations on what are the best parts to stay in besides Thamel?

Oasis Kathmandu Hotel
Oasis Kathmandu Hotel
#1 of 507 hotels in Kathmandu
Kumari Boutique Hotel
Kumari Boutique Hotel
#2 of 507 hotels in Kathmandu
Arushi Boutique Hotel
Arushi Boutique Hotel
#3 of 507 hotels in Kathmandu
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
61 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Kathmandu...where to stay?
Save

Hi

Depends what you are after of course. I normally stay in this backpackers lodge https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Hotel_Review-g293890-d6840773-Reviews-Kathmandu_Garden_House-Kathmandu_Kathmandu_Valley_Bagmati_Zone_Central_Region.html in Paknajol, less than five minutes walking from Thamel but there are literally hundreds of options.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Kathmandu...where to stay?
Save

Boudhanath, Patan, Lazimpat...many options. What kind of location are you looking for?

scoodly

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Kathmandu...where to stay?
Save

I did stay at The Museum in Lazimpat , a new great little hotel , but its about a 45min walk to Thamel ,

Neighborhood was quiet .

Level Contributor
40 posts
4. Re: Kathmandu...where to stay?
Save

Thanks so much....I am looking to be close to shopping for local handicrafts...I heard all the shopping for that is in Thamel?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: Kathmandu...where to stay?
Save

Thamel does have handicraft shops so staying in Thamel means these are accessible. However, there are there are areas close to Thamel that also have a range of hotels. These include Chhetrapati and Paknajol which are a;most indistinguishable from Thamel in that you do not leave the touristy area, the tourist shops, cafes and hotel thin out a little. Lazimpat is a little further away but walkable to Thamel (it's 15 minutes from the hotel I use).

Besides proximity to handicraft shop, there are other factors to consider such as convenience for any other things you want to see and do (but T and the other areas mentioned are well-placed for the the KTM & valley sights) and how lively you want it to be. Thamel is busy and can be noisy particularly if the hotel happens to be close to a bar or music venue. Other noise such as dogs and traffic can happen any where but Thamel has an added nuisance: the chorus of metal shutters opening and closing.

All the areas have a range of hotels in terms of prices and standards and I'm sure people will make recommendations if you ask. Letting people know your preferred standards & facilities and budget (bearing in mind hotels can be still be good value in KTM) will help get appropriate suggestions.

Handicrafts will be available in other places probably more cheaply. I can't give specific suggestions other than to suggest the Indra Chowk and Asan Tole area where locals shop. Others will know better, I think suzie r buys such things at wholesale.

scoodly

6. Re: Kathmandu...where to stay?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 15, 2019, 1:41 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.