We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?

Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

From Lobuche I had planned to go to Kala Platter instead of EBC, but is it possible to do both in one day, or is it too difficult ?

thanks

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
1. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

Well, for somebody who is fairly fit and well acclimatised it would be possible if starting early from Lobuche, go straight to KP and continue to EBC, can make it just barely back to Gorak Shep before sunset. Many groups get back to GS from EBC after dark even without climbing KP first, so not easy.

Most people would not be able to do it, though. Why would you want to try? Better plan to just do KP after lunch (after coming up from Lobuche), and start to EBC early next morning, after which you can make it down to Periche before dark.

Port Perry, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
12 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

We did both in one day from Lobuche last year. We planned to do EBC and then KP the next morning but when we got back early from base camp feeling good, and there was no cloud rolling in we decided to take a crack at KP. It was REALLY hard. I can overstate that. I was a zombie by the time I got back to the lodge. Also, we were extremely fortunate because cloud rolled in after we left the top and the tons of people slogging up right after us got left with no view. Leave enough time to do them over two days. Then after you do one or the other on day 1 you can see how you're feeling about tackling both. I don't regret doing both in one day but I certainly wouldn't plan to do it that way because it is incredibly difficult and any small bit of exhaustion could derail your plans and make you miss out. Ark's suggestion in #1 is what I would go with if I were to go back.

Edited: 2 years ago
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
3. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

What I have done the 2 times I have stayed at Gorak Shep, is walk up from Lobuche, have lunch at GS, then walk up KP in the afternoon.

Next day to "EBC" - first time I went beyond to almost the start of the Khumbu icefall - this was in late Nov 2005, when 2 old crashed choppers were being dismantled - an odd sight.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

Hi Excursion

It would not be my choice. How much time do you have and o you have an intended itinerary at this stage? People will comment if you give more information.

Good luck.

scoodly

5. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Had read that it all could be done in one day but realistically I think its going to be too much.

We have 14 days set for the kala platter trek from Lukla and back, but if we can we want some extra time in Katmandu (only got two half days at present) so balancing a visit to EBC is with this in mind and the fact that I'm not superman !!!

6. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Had read that it all could be done in one day but realistically I think its going to be too much.

We have 14 days set for the kala platter trek from Lukla and back, but if we can we want some extra time in Katmandu (only got two half days at present) so balancing a visit to EBC is with this in mind and the fact that I'm not superman !!!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
7. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?
Save

14 days for the trek should allow you to visit both KP and EBC on separate days.

scoodly

8. Re: Kala Platter and EBC in one day ?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 16, 2019, 12:42 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.