We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest Link Wifi

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
34 helpful votes
Everest Link Wifi
Save

Hi,

When I went to Khumbu region last, about 18 months ago, the Everest Link WiFi was working well and available in most tea houses. Is this still the best way to get WiFi higher up?

There only seemed to be small, 50MB I think, vouchers available but the web site now says they have 10GB cards available which seems a huge difference. Does anyone know if these are available in the lodges now?

I don't know how the payment works for the lodges. Is it better to buy many small cards on the way to spread the money or doesn't it matter in the end?

Thanks

Nick

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: Everest Link Wifi
Save

Hi,

A quick update after our trip. We only went up the Gokyo valley but I would think this applies to the other valleys as well.

We used Everest Link above Namche. Namche and below was well covered by Ncell so a Rp800 SIM card (from airport for us) words very well. That had a few Gb for 2 weeks which was easily enough for us. Speed was good enough for WhatsApp voice calls and sending some photos etc.

Above Namche most lodges have WiFi available signs and they all seem t be provided by Everest Link though this isn't obvious. You should ask if there WiFi is provided by Everest Link when choosing a room if it's important

We found two types of data packages (scratch cards) for sale. Rp600 and Rp2000. The Rp600 were supposed to be limited to the village of purchase (stamped on card) and we heard people complaining about this. We bought to Rp2000 card which had 10Gb of data and was valid in all villages. We had no problems in Dole, Machermo, Gokyo and Dragnag

Speed of WiFi was generally excellent. Some lodges turn of the router at times due to lack of power but you can often connect to a neighboring lodge for a while

Rp2000 Everest Link plus Rp800 Ncell SIM (total about US$25) gave us everything we needed to keep in contact

Nick

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Everest Link Wifi
Save

Thanks for the useful update Nick.

scoodly

3. Re: Everest Link Wifi
Save

I am walking in from Jiri to do the EBC trek - I've heard that 'Nepal Telecom' has better coverage below Lukla/Namche, is that true? Should I buy a SIM card from them or from NCell? The Rp2000 Everest Link Data card seems a great option for Namche and above - thanks for the tip, Nick.

4. Re: Everest Link Wifi

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: November 18, 2019, 2:41 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.