We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
353 reviews
311 helpful votes
How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Do you have any suggestions on how to best prepare a trekking backpack for a domestic flight so that it survives.

The last thing we need is to arrive at the trail head and find that the straps are broken or something is missing.

Thank you.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
61 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Hi

I walk with a lightweight pack that requires a bit of extra care while in transport and use a large drybag that fits right over my pack so I end up just putting a sack on the plane, no straps, no handles, nothing to get caught. When I arrive at my destination I use the bag as a pack liner.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
353 reviews
311 helpful votes
2. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Thanks Eric, that's exactly what I am concerned about that some straps, buckles etc will get caught somewhere and possibly damaged.

Would you have a link to the light pack you are using?

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
61 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Hi again

Sure, I'm using a ZPacks Arc Haul http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul.shtml and their Airplane Backpack Case http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/airplane_case.shtml

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
4. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

I would not worry about it too much, Nepal airports do not have mile long conveyor belt systems and everything is done manually. They simply do not have enough money to invest in expensive strap rippers big international airports are using.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Hi boleslav

I put my pack in a cover too not just to prevent damage at airports (your pack will go through conveyor systems at the departure and connecting airports) from mishandling but to reduce the possibility theft also. The cover I have is then used for storing excess kit at the hotel. (I use plastic rubble sacks as liners.)

scoodly

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
6. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Depends how much you love your pack and is it a fragile expensive one.

I have backpacked on and off over the last 35 years for total of 5 years across 60+ countries (drop kicked, thrown off trucks, canoes and rolled down tracks etc) and generally never used an outer case for the pack and no problems. What I do is batten down the hatches, tie up all loose ends, tuck them inside somewhere, reverse the hip belt by buckling backwards over the pack so there is less chance of catching on something, shorten both shoulder straps etc and use rain cover.

However, as you may be just on a short 2-4 week trip you could place the pack in tough black plastic bag, food grade food plastic wrapped multiple times or use a cloth sack or similar, get to Ktm hotel and leave it there while trekking and collect it on departure.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
121 reviews
61 helpful votes
7. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

We pack it all inside of large duffel bags for airline (1 duffel per person). Protects everything. I then leave duffel in hotel in Kathmandu with our extra clothes etc.

OOPS Sorry... I'm talking about the international flights. For domestic flights in Nepal (which we now avoid), we've tied down the straps and put a cover on pack.

Edited: 2 years ago
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Ah, I missed that the question was about domestic flights.

scoodly

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
353 reviews
311 helpful votes
9. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

Thank you so much for taking the time and reply.

For the international flights we do place all the packs, camping gear etc. in a duffel.

For the domestic, I may just do as you suggest - large and sturdy plastic trash bag.

And I forgot to ask about flying Domectic with the trekking poles. Any suggestion on how to pack them to protect them from being bent or broken?

Port Perry, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
12 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: How to pack a trekking backpack for a domestic flight?
Save

I agree with Ark in post #4. While we stick our bags in a duffel for international flights I wouldn't be concerned about domestic ones and I am pretty paranoid. We have just cinched the straps tight and clipped the hip belt into itself backwards behind the main pack. No conveyors at domestic airports to eat and kill your bag. :D

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.