We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goyko Valley Trek

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Initially I have been focusing on a trek to ABC with my wife next Oct/Nov. I know this is the most highly traveled time and I do have some concerns about the crowds of people on the trails. I have been reconsidering and am now interested in the Gokyo Valley trek as it appears to be less crowded and offers incredible scenery. I wanted TA's experts to comment on this trek and whether my perception of less people is true. Also since my research has just begun what other things should I consider about this trek in making my decision. i.e.. Do the standard routes give the appropriate amount of time to acclimate; are there adequate number of teahouses etc. Thanks, Rob

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
1. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Main differences are slightly less crowds in Gokyo and a bit longer trek. Khumbu is getting congested also, but not as bad as ABC route where there is not possible to build enough lodges (government rules). Gokyo is, again, less popular than EBC among the trekking herds.

Routes themselves do not give the appropriate time to acclimate, itinerary does. Many commercial itineraries have only 2 nights between Namche and Gokyo, which works for some, but people have also died trying. So rather have 3, like Dole - Machermo - Machermo, or Dole - Machermo - Nha for some variety even if the days are short. If going up with 6 nights (like Monjo - Namche x 2 - Dole - Machermo - Nha) and staying in Gokyo just one day, then hurry down to Lukla in 2 days, total KTM-KTM is 10 days. Better to stay 2 nights in Gokyo and return via Renjo La to Thame, meaning 12 days reasonable and enjoyable minimum.

Kathmandu Valley...
Level Contributor
408 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Hi Rob,

Yes, Gokyo is more scenery than ABC. Of course, it is more hard regarding high altitude. I vote post#1 regarding should be at least 3 nights (between Namche and Gokyo) or 4N. I suggest you Namche to Phortsethanga, Dole, Machhermo 2 nights (or 2nd night at Phanka/Nha). Luza/Phanka/Nha are more basic lodge if you compare with other places.

NKT

Lukla, Nepal
1 post
3. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Hi, If you have enough time, then you can do Gokyo lake trek+Everest base camp trek via chola pass,this trek treats you well. You can comolete this trek in 12 days. Thanks :Tenzing Sherpa

Edited: 2 years ago
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
121 reviews
61 helpful votes
4. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Re #3: 12 days seems too fast for (altitude acclimatisation) safety....

Port Perry, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
12 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

I don't know in what universe you can safely do EBC and Gokyo over Cho La in 12 days. Certainly not this one!

Good advice in the other posts though. OP.

Edited: 2 years ago
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Hi Furba S

Would you be so kind enough to post an itinerary for your 12 day Gokyo & EBC trek?

Thanks.

scoodly

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
7. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Re how busy ABC gets nowadays, see post from someone who has trekked it recently, here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k11993821-ABC_things_to_remember_for_Oct_and_Nov-Nepal.html

As well as the crowds, a fair part of the route to ABC between Chomrong and near MBC is in forest, and views are a bit limited. I have done ABC twice, but not since 2008.

My choice would definitely be Gokyo, where I have been 5 times, most recent Jan 2016. A great area, and fewer (though it will not be quiet) trekkers and helicopters than EBC and the Khumbu valley. Choppers are becoming an increasing nuisance with their noise and dust.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
52 posts
104 reviews
38 helpful votes
8. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

I went over the Renjo La on my way back from Gokyo. It was spectacular and hard (but I was 63 when I did it). This is worth considering also.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. Can anyone tell me if we did go Renjo LA on the return what the itinerary would look like starting from Gokyo? I am trying to see the most efficient way from Lukla to Gokyo/Gokyo Ri and then return. Efficiency is important however acclimatizing is the most important part for us. At this point the plan would be 2 nights in Namche then at least 2 possibly 3 nights between Namche and Gokyo. Thanks, Rob

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
10. Re: Goyko Valley Trek
Save

2 nights between Namche and Gokyo is dangerously little, at least 3 to be on the safe side, like I wrote in #1.

Some people are able to hike Gokyo to Thame via Renjo La in one day, many go only to Marulung for the night. Anyway, getting from Gokyo to Namche is possible in 2 days over Renjo La, either long day to Thame, then short day to Namche, or short day to Marulung, then longer day to Namche.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.